Transformer Placement 5E3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2006, 08:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer Placement 5E3

I am building a 5E3 Deluxe circuit in an old stromberg carlson tube PA chassis. I gutted the chassis, and am using all new parts. My question is this. The power transformer fits best if it is mounted 90 degrees different than it is shown on the schematic (long ways). I assume I can also rotate the output transformer 90 degrees so they cancel out. Is there any problem in mounting the PT this way? It will be close to the rectifyer tube and one 6V6. I could mount the PT in its "traditional" direction, but it will be a pain. A pic of the layout is below. Thanks.!!!!!

http://i13.tinypic.com/2e3sydi.jpg
Old 5th November 2006, 09:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I see no reason not to mount it as you have it pictured. It's in the opposite corner from the low level input tubes, which is correct. And the output, which appears to be shielded, is not real close.

Just be sure to use a ground buss wire under those tube sockets. That's probably more important for low hum. And if push comes to shove, you could turn the transformer after it's finished provided you leave the wires long enough by tucking them in the corner of the chassis. These layouts are somewhat experimental sometimes anyway.

Victor
Old 6th November 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer Placement 5E3

Thanks! I will push forward. One more question please. You mentioned a ground bus wire under the tube sockets. Please explain. I plan on having a ground bus wire off my "circuit board" and then grounding that to the ground tab of one of the filter caps. Wrong???? Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!