• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Regulated AC...thought some of you might be interested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KBK said:
Look at my thread on "power suppy idea" in the Pass Audio area.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89750

Apply the same to each rail of a balanced AC line. A pair of large chokes should do it.

First, apply such to the PS side of your emitters in a given preamp or amp circuit. It is literally 15 minutes of work to check it out for yourself.

Once you hear it....It might make your brain smoke a bit, until you go back to propogation theory combined with AC inductor theory. Then you'll get it.

You may decide that massively re-generated AC isn't worth it at that point. This solution may be good enough. And likely, far cheaper. Possibly more effective. It sure is effective on the emitter +PS rail. whooo-eee!

And some of those oddities proposed in the arena of electrical circuits that we hear about every now and then..might start to make sense.

I just thought about this a bit, when getting up this morning. It came to me..why would all you guys (or many, or any at all) seem to feel that a "Mills Wire Wound" (non-inductive or not, the 'mass' is still there) as a choice for a emitter resistor would be superior 'sounding' to a metal film or oxide resistor in the same location?

After all, clean differentials between the B+ and the emitter side of the resistor are paramount to the dynamic integrity of the reproduced or traced signal. How could a wirewound possibly result in 'better sound' than the other two options. Impossible!

Possibly, if you consider what I have proposed, it may make more sense. Just a thought. This is not your mother's inductive mass. :p

A little more fuel for the fire.

I'm staying on this like a dog with a bone, for a reason.

From the other (mentioned) thread, by a contributor.

"I know what you are doing works as does anyone who has played with radio antennas."

I believe I mentioned this as well. "Familiar to RF guys" or something similar, is what I said, at the start. The RF guys know what this is all about.

It's a very cool way to think of and utilize a well known phenomenon. It also helps bring a clear understanding of what exactly inductance is, into the hands and mind of the average DIY audio fanatic. Simply through a obvious point of physical application which leaves zero doubt as to the origins if the 'effect'. And there's no telling what he will come up with then! Which is the whole point! As Heddley Lamarr (Harvey Korman) said in "Blazing Saddles", "Go do..that Voodoo..That you do..So well..."

It inject's Maxwell's work on propogation theory into your head, in a practical 'daily useage' way. And then you can extrapolate from that ..into some very cool things.

:) :)

And that is the exact point of thinking that I am addressing. If you don't do the experiment, you'll never know. I used a inductor claimed to handle 0.5 watts, a DC resistance of about 15ohms, and rated at 10mH.

Point being, I won't spend any real terrific amounts of energy butting heads, trying to convince folks. That wagon is full. :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
astouffer said:
Worrying about the inductance of resistors is ridiculous at audio frequencies.

Actually, you'd be surprised. I measured the frequency response and output power of a single-ended amplifier using a 4 Ohm wirewound dummy load and got some odd results. Turned out the inductance was significant. My dummy load is now made up of metal film resistors.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Tweeker said:
Then again, what do you suppose the Le on a 4 ohm nominal transducer is?

Ah, to quote from the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," that's a Not My Problem Field. More to the point, it's variable, so the only fixed point is to measure with a resistive load. When faced with real loudspeakers, I have three choices:

(1) I can buy loudspeakers that present the amplifier with a resistive load.
(2) I can apply my own network to convert the complex load into a resistive load.
(3) I can ignore it.

Most people choose (3).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.