diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Argh!! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/89533-argh.html)

phn 2nd November 2006 04:35 PM

Argh!!

I just got a pre-war amp with AD1 power triodes. The stupid idiot throws it all into a cardboard box without packing it. The chassis wasn't even screwed on, and there are screws! The amp and AD1s are broken. I just mailed the stupid idiot asking what's wrong with him.

I will not lose any money. But I hate not having the amp and having to pack and ship the thing. The loss is the stupid idiot seller's. He now has worthless junk.

Gold_xyz 2nd November 2006 04:52 PM

photo ? :(

ak_47_boy 2nd November 2006 05:09 PM

Similar thing happened to me. I bought a Zektor switch for $200US and the guy just put it in a box, LITERALLY. Smashed & dented, i got a full refund. I don't understand how someone can be so stupit, it takes 30 seconds to pack it with at least newspaper.

edit: I shiped it back to him just the way he shiped it to me :p

nickds1 3rd November 2006 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ak_47_boy
Similar thing happened to me. I bought a Zektor switch for $200US and the guy just put it in a box, LITERALLY. Smashed & dented, i got a full refund. I don't understand how someone can be so stupit, it takes 30 seconds to pack it with at least newspaper.

edit: I shiped it back to him just the way he shiped it to me :p

Whilst we love these things, to many others they are just a commodity.

I like nixies - there used to be really only one supplier of B7971s - he was really a coin trader, and found a HUGE stash of the B7971s in a warehouse, still in 30-year-old newspaper.

I bought a LARGE quantity of these (many 100s). He packed them in boxes of 55, side-by-side with no intervening packing (just the old couple of sheets of crumbly paper), in a huge box that was not very strong with only 0.5" of padding at the edges so mechanical shock was transmitted to the whole package contents.

Broken tubes... and there were a lot more of these...

He didn't care - he packed a few extra each time, expecting 10% to always get crushed.

Very sad.

ak_47_boy 3rd November 2006 02:11 PM

Poor Tubez :( Can't tubes be damaged by impact even if the glass is not broken?

phn 3rd November 2006 02:59 PM

Actually, the tubes somehow survived despite being basically unprotected. The cover, which covers the entire amp except for the back, had moved around 5-10 cm. The impact of the cover shaking around broke the metal pin of the volume pot, but the tubes, being packed side-by-side with the amp, were unhurt! Not quite unhurt. Most of them rattle when you shake them. And there were stuffings. Mostly newspapers and not enough to secure the amp in place.

Sorry, no picture. The amp is repacked. I want to get rid of it as soon as possible and just forget this ever happened. I get upset just thinking about it.

blacklight 3rd November 2006 04:17 PM

There may not be any "real" damage done to the tubes. I have an old tube radio and all the tubes rattle but they work just fine. A real shame what happened, though.

-blacklight, President of People's Front Against Packaging Idiots

Gold_xyz 3rd November 2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by phn
Actually, the tubes somehow survived despite being basically unprotected. The cover, which covers the entire amp except for the back, had moved around 5-10 cm. The impact of the cover shaking around broke the metal pin of the volume pot, but the tubes, being packed side-by-side with the amp, were unhurt! Not quite unhurt. Most of them rattle when you shake them. And there were stuffings. Mostly newspapers and not enough to secure the amp in place.

Sorry, no picture. The amp is repacked. I want to get rid of it as soon as possible and just forget this ever happened. I get upset just thinking about it.

next time you ask to send in an armored package http://www.pctuner.net/forum/images/smilies/gasd.gif

phn 3rd November 2006 05:47 PM

I talked to the guy yesterday. One idea was that I send him the tubes and he will check them. He would also try to find a new volume knob.

Thinking about it today I decided, no. I don't know when, or if, he finds a knob. Also, two film-type caps have come lose, the point-to-point solder being torn clean off. I don't know if there's anything else broken. I feel I just don't need the headache. I do want the amp and tubes. But not at all cost. I didn't get this for free. It was cheaper than if I bought a pre-war amp and extra tubes on eBay. Quite possibly a lot cheaper. Pre-war cinema amps bring silly money on eBay. But it's the tubes that are my main interest. The amp was a bonus. Selling it and keeping the extra tubes was definitely an option. Without that option I might not have bought it. I can get a pair NOS AD1s on eBay for what I paid for this. But the thing is, I'm not looking. I wasn't looking when I ran into these. All I know is that I want to build one SET or other down the line.

I do feel said for the guy. But I do not feel sad about him being a stupid idiot who didn't even put in the effort to screw the cover in place. It's one lousy screw! (Actually two, but one is missing and one would be enough.) He still insists he packed it well. I didn't argue. He said they must have dropped it. Duh! That's why you pack it safely and labels it fragile if it is. No label on this. I never gave any instructions or asked about freight cost. It's within Sweden. ANY price would have been within reason. I guess my mistake was to not think I was dealing with a stupid idiot.

There are other things as well. But since those are only speculations on my part, I will leave them be. All I can say is that I don't want to deal with it. I don't have the energy for that. I just want out so I can put this behind me.

EC8010 3rd November 2006 07:50 PM

No idea at all.

Some people have very strange ideas about what constitutes adequate packaging. I bought a bed recently and sent part of it back because it had a pair of dents in the oak headboard caused by inadequate shielding between some staples in the cardboard box. The whole parcel (66kg) had less protective expanded polystyrene than I used for a piece of old test equipment (10kg) when I moved house recently.