Argh!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2006, 08:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

A few years ago I got my collection of tubes (about 100000) because of poor packing. Apparantly the original owner of a warehouse full of vintage electronics and military surplus had passed away. He had hundreds of boxes full of loose tubes (no individual boxes) all sorted in order on the shelves. A moving crew was hired to clean out the warehouse. They simply dumped the tubes into 2' X 2' X 2' boxes, about 30 of them. This broke about 1/3 of the tubes and destroyed a lifetime of organization. The boxes were then stacked on pallets and loaded into a semi trailer. Pallets were stacked on top of each other crushing many of the tubes on the bottom. The trailer (rusty and not waterproof) was then left parked outside in Florida for a few years. The trailer contents were sold to a friend of mine for scrap. He told me that I could have all of the tubes if I helped him move them, and sort them from the military surplus.

This just shows that what is valuable to us, is just junk to most people, and they often treat it as such. I moved all of the tubes to a rented warehouse, and I have been sorting through them. It is a crime to have to throw out thousands of pounds of tubes due to someones carelessness. It does afford the opportunity to see the intricate details as to the internal construction of vintage tubes from the WWII era. I have tossed at least 100 smashed 807's and 1625's. It really sucks to find not one but two smashed RCA 845's. I did find 4 good ones though.
Old 3rd November 2006, 09:37 PM   #12
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

If you ship UPS, you can expect your package may be subjected to a 4 foot drop.
Old 4th November 2006, 02:23 PM   #13
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweeker
If you ship UPS, you can expect your package may be subjected to a 4 foot drop.

And the rest!

I once received a VERY expensive amp for repair, correctly packed in it's international shipping box. It must have been dropped from a great height because the transformers had buckled the very sustantial chassis. The courier paid up, but it was a tragedy nevertheless.

Hide this!Advertise here!