• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Capacitor above chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Capasitor above chassis

I using the obligato caps from diyhifisupply in a psu PI filter in my El34 project, aming at B+ og 450-460 volt. The obligato cap will come up through the chassis. On the top of the cap the plastic casing does not totally cover the aluminum can of the capasitor.
I cannot find any references to wheather a capasitor aluminum can can be a safety risk if possible to touch in Morgan Jones book or searching via google.

Should I for safety reasons

1. Make sure the aluminum can is connected to the chassis via the clamp and screws through the top chassis plate.

or

2. Cover the aluminum can of the capasitor totally with isolating substance.

I thinking that if I do 1. the aluminum can will be at 0 volt potential and it will not be unsafe to touch the aluminum can. If I do 2. the aluminum can is not possible to touch.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Clamping the bare capacitor can to chassis will make it safe but almost certainly cause hum problems because of hum loops. Totally shrouding the capacitor in plastic (as many modern electrolytics are made) will make it safe and avoid hum loops. I assume that you don't have enough room to put it inside the chassis. Some imaginative constructors have sprayed tins intended for tea and used them to cover unsightly/dangerous components.

I can personally assure you that touching the can on a Panasonic electrolytic (top is exposed) is a SHOCKING experience. The can seems to be at a voltage that is somewhere between the potentials on the two terminals. In my case it was about 200 volts on a 350 volt cap.

I would not ground the can because this may cause an undesirable internal leakage current inside the cap. Insulate it from contact.

This is a "film in oil" capasitor and I have now lately been advised to groud the can as its plates should be isolated from the can, and grounding will prevent from shock hazard when the can is exposed.

I cannot find connection from the terminals to the can with an Ohmmeter, but I do not have the option of measuring capasitans terminal/ can. If a leakage current arise inside when I do this, will it be possible to measure?

tubelab.com said:
I can personally assure you that touching the can on a Panasonic electrolytic (top is exposed) is a SHOCKING experience. The can seems to be at a voltage that is somewhere between the potentials on the two terminals. In my case it was about 200 volts on a 350 volt cap.

I would not ground the can because this may cause an undesirable internal leakage current inside the cap. Insulate it from contact.

I second that!

Once during a workshop there was a hot sunny day and we vere half naked, without t-shorts. Suddenly I saw a smoke going from the amp on the edge of stage. I come and removed cover. Smoke was going from uderneath of the chassis. I pulled the amp, bent over it trying to spot where the smoke is going from... And suddenly tauched by belly a can with about 450V on it.... :bawling:

Put some isolation cap on it.

EC8010, assumption confirmed. Not easy to drill those 51mm holes so a pro helped out. A bit dissapointed about the caps though as the can was bulky and ugly underneath the plastic. Filler and paint is needed to make them look good (as is a goal of mine), but aluminum is not your friend in that case. Any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.