• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube preamp vs. solid state

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I doubt that many people have critically listened to both of these exact models of esoteric preamps, especially under similar circumstances. That is why you probably have gotten no replies. I have heard various MBL preamp and amp models driving their own MBL Radialstrahler 101 speakers (spectacular speakers, by the way) and with other brands too; and I’ve also heard several Jadis preamps and amps through the years in various circumstances. In my view, the recent MBLs are among the better solid state devices I’ve listened to (and I’m a real tube bigot). The Jadis products are quite idiosyncratic however. They usually sound very “tubey”, more so than I think is accurate. I don’t think they represent the best that tubes can offer. Others will vehemently disagree, I’m sure. Would I prefer the Jadis model you refer to over the MBL model you mentioned? I can’t say for sure. I would suggest that you critically compare several tube preamp-amps to several decent solid-state preamp-amps and see if you hear what many of us hear who prefer a good tube amp. There may then be better options for you either way – including DIY. I know that I’m generalizing a bit much here, but thought you deserved an answer.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you are talking about the outfit I think you are the clones are an interesting opportunity to experiment. The local buzz is that the term clone is somewhat mis-used in that many of these boards in fact bear little resemblance to the device they are intended to clone.

An acquiantance with a Marantz 7 clone indicated that this was the case as well.

Of course YMMV.

Since I built a JP200 I might be qualified to comment on the sound and quality of the board and design. The JP200 like the rest of the clone boards from Hong Kong by those wanting to latch onto the money of the unknowing isn't worth the postage it takes to get it to your home. It has a number of lay out flaws as well as circuit flaws. It has way too much gain and noise. It requires a heater supply that is a well regulated DC supply as well as a regulated DC supply for the board. After all the trouble of taking care of the power supply end of it the sonics are better than a SS preamp but falling far short of those of an Aikido design.

It sounds far better with 12AT7's in it than it does with 12AX7's. I spent hours trying to get it to sound halfway decent.

Stay clear of it:hot:

Purchase the Aikido boards from this site and look up the Aikido thread and simply build it.

I guess after re-reading your post I didn't answer it correctly. I haven't heard the MBL clone as yet but based on the correctness of the other "Clone" designs I don't have much faith in it either.

If you desire a SS product then go with the real thing and the same thing with a tube preamp. You get what you pay for in this life. If your a SS fan I suggest you purchase a fully complimentry designed preamp such as a GAS product or SAE. If your wanting to play with tubes then please read the entire Aikido thread and take some notes for further questions you will have and then build it.

If your wanting a good line stage I would look for a tube that will give an mu of no more than about 36. The 6FQ7,6SN7,6N1P,and 6922 fall in this range. The 12AX7 would be way too much gain. More is not necessarily better here. I have built Aikido's with these tubes as input tubes and they sound quite nice.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My post was in reference to a pc board, and not an entire cloned pre-amp, the buyers comments were quite similar to comments echoed on this thread.

I would say the Aikido pre would be a good choice. Personally I prefer transformer coupled dht based line stages, but they are complex and for the unitiated there are quite a few pitfalls.

See the pre-amp pages on my site if you are interested.

http://www.kta-hifi.net/projects/pre_page/pre_page.html

You want the first link.

burnedfingers said:
If your wanting a good line stage I would look for a tube that will give an mu of no more than about 36. The 6FQ7,6SN7,6N1P,and 6922 fall in this range. The 12AX7 would be way too much gain. More is not necessarily better here. I have built Aikido's with these tubes as input tubes and they sound quite nice.

I'm surprised no one has pointed to tubecad.com which is the original website for the design. he sells pcbs too and you'll find more info on the aikido on his site.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.