6P14P Amp Scratch Build - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2006, 03:26 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mitwrong Send a message via MSN to mitwrong Send a message via Yahoo to mitwrong
Quote:
Originally posted by motherone
as I found an ebayer selling 6P14P (Sovtek EL84s?) and picked up 40 of them at $2/each. eBay is definitely the place to get them, as the web shops are selling them for $7+ each!
Guys:

I want to repeat : 6p14 is made in China, and 6pie14pie, is made in Russian, on my keyboard, it doesn't has a " pie " symbol.

At Ebay only $2/each, Don't you think that is OK?????

I have bought tubes from Ebay, very cheap! But only 10% can work. the rest all went to junk yard!!!! Imagine how can a working tube sell at $2 of EL84???? Only an AB resistor cost???
Those tubes are selected ones, worse ones!!!! Don't try to pick up a penny without sweat ed!!!!

Good Luck! and have fortune!
Old 25th December 2006, 04:33 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I don't see what the debate is here...

anyway, merry christmas, all!

p.s. i tried a quad of my RUSSIAN 6p14p's and they were all very close to each other, and sound great. i had no problems changing my 20-ohm pots to match them to .1mA of each other. ymmv.
Old 25th December 2006, 04:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

My understanding of translating the "Pi" symbol is that it's indicated as 6N14N or 6P14P. While 6P14 may be the Chinese designation, folks chose the 6P14P as many do not have a way of putting in cyrillic characters.

As far as the tubes go, the ones I picked up came in a box marked Sovtek EL84, and the tubes look absolutely pristine. I've no way to tell if they're bad, but the seller sold them at a loss (I had a lengthy discussion with him regarding them).

I'm not particularly worried about it. Even if half of them are okay, it's still a good deal.

Eventually I hope to pick up a tube tester and match them up.

Also, there are sellers from eastern europe offering them up pretty inexpensively on there, for un-branded EL84 (6P14P), usually at $2-4/tube, depending on the quantity.
Old 25th December 2006, 05:16 AM   #24
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Same here, bought 16 of the Russian EL84M equivs and haven't seen a dud yet. They all measure as close as any other brand. EH on the other hand have been junk in my experience, so no-name doesn't always indicate no quality.
Old 25th December 2006, 06:39 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by motherone
My understanding of translating the "Pi" symbol is that it's indicated as 6N14N or 6P14P. While 6P14 may be the Chinese designation, folks chose the 6P14P as many do not have a way of putting in cyrillic characters.
Cyrllic "H" -> "N"
Cyrllic "Pi" -> "P"

I suspect the only reason they indicate it on eBay as lower case "n" is because it is the closest shaped character to a Pi. Using P is a totally valid translation, just as we say 6N1P rather than 6H1Pi

Searching for 6P14P on eBay yields Russian tubes, 6P14 yields Chinese tubes.
Old 25th December 2006, 10:39 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

The only experience I have so far with EH is their 12AU7 for a SOHA amplifier. It's by far the quietest I've tested so far. The Chinese 12AU7 is extraordinarily noisy. I've tried some vintage ones as well, but I have about 15 brands to try out and haven't gotten to all of them yet

Hopefully the ones I bought weren't duds. They seriously look flawless, so unless the guy I purchased from was shipped ones that weren't to spec (which I doubt), they should be fine!

All I have to say is that you've got to love eBay!
Old 25th December 2006, 03:28 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sorenj07
Well, I'm drawing around 192mA of current through the 6V3-A's and they seem to be holding pretty steady, but it's still kind of disturbing. The amp has worked so far, I rarely listen very loudly. Is it worth replacing each 6V3-A with a paralleled 6CA4 (which I can definitely do) or should I not sweat it?

note: datasheets I've seen for the 6V3-A specify 600-800mA steady peak current and 135mA DC current...
anyway, back to topic... any ideas?
Old 25th December 2006, 05:02 PM   #28
Zibi is offline Zibi  Poland
diyAudio Member

Off-topic but useful: russian tubes numbering system
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Russ...he_Roehren.htm
Old 26th December 2006, 07:53 PM   #29
Menator is offline Menator  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

The tube 6P14P(EV) is made in USSR. It's russian. Most of this tube are made in Svetlana factory in Leningrad. I have many. It is the russian version of EL84 tube. The military version are "EV". The other are only 6P14P.
Old 28th December 2006, 03:53 PM   #30
Zibi is offline Zibi  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sorenj07
Well, I'm drawing around 192mA of current through the 6V3-A's and they seem to be holding pretty steady, but it's still kind of disturbing. The amp has worked so far, I rarely listen very loudly. Is it worth replacing each 6V3-A with a paralleled 6CA4 (which I can definitely do) or should I not sweat it?

note: datasheets I've seen for the 6V3-A specify 600-800mA steady peak current and 135mA DC current...

anyway, back to topic... any ideas?
Don't change anything.

Hide this!Advertise here!