• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6GH8 - A Little Off?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having a great time bringing the old Scott lk72 back to life. Today I stuck in a bunch of Orange Drops and a couple new JJ7591's (they are bigger than the original, tight fit next to the output transformers) cranked things up adjusted the pots and found a hum in the left channel.

Switching the two 6gh8's and the hum followed, so hoping that a new tube will quiet things down nicely. - But now I'm looking at the tube and am a bit surprised - check out the bottom photo.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

How common was that? (Early 60's)

The other thing that surprised me was the size of the new caps. The .25's are just going to clear the bottom cover.

Cheers, Ed

I remember coming across several valves like that in the 60's, but can't recall any since. Mind you, at peak I was probably averaging 20 valve replacements in a day at work.:eek:
Cosmetics wasn't an issue then, when everything was enclosed. As long as it didn't interfere with a screening can or clip, there wasn't any practical disadvantage either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.