design and personality - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2006, 07:42 PM   #51
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"I should add that it isn't a given that a choke will look like a high impedance when it's sitting in a resonant circuit. You might want to calculate that magnitude and phase as a function of frequency of the impedance looking into the filter at the inputs of L1 and L2."

It was anticipated going in. This was intended as a rough, proof-of-concept sanity check.

Quote:
Originally posted by hpasternack
What's interesting, on further consideration, is that in your circuit, C1 is actually resonant at 360Hz. A current pulse from L1 "kicks" the tank, which is a pi network consisting of C1-L2-C2, and then the whole thing rings at six times the power line frequency.
The proverbial 'ah-ha!'. This explains the low ripple with low to moderate final stage filtering. I didn't have time, or honestly much inclination, to confirm the ripple frequency. Whether lower level at higher frequency is an improvement is an open question. When time becomes available I'll drop these circuits into Spice and examine the impedances presented to the rectifiers.
Old 14th October 2008, 01:32 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Diggin' up an old thread...Jeff is at it again....

-> "Also, do NOT ever build a 2A3 amp with any R's as the filter to the finals. Never!!

The 2A3 is a PEAK current hungry tube, and it demands you use as little series resistance in the power supply to the finals as possible. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ROOM, GET A NEW BIGGER CHASSIS."

Of course, I argue with him, but mostly just to create some opposition to his zealous design rules. If no one steps up and says 'that ain't right,' then people who read the forum may believe him.
Old 14th October 2008, 02:40 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris_The_Blade
Diggin' up an old thread...Jeff is at it again....

-> "Also, do NOT ever build a 2A3 amp with any R's as the filter to the finals. Never!!

The 2A3 is a PEAK current hungry tube, and it demands you use as little series resistance in the power supply to the finals as possible. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ROOM, GET A NEW BIGGER CHASSIS."

Of course, I argue with him, but mostly just to create some opposition to his zealous design rules. If no one steps up and says 'that ain't right,' then people who read the forum may believe him.
I never question other people's belief systems, even when they are engineers with MS degrees. It is their right to believe in whatever they want to believe. I can explain my point of view, I can explain details I know, but it is not my business to change their beliefs, so as soon as I see beliefs VS facts or opinions I stop the discussion, though sometimes it is too late, so they already got mad. It is easy to get people mad questioning their beliefs.
Old 14th October 2008, 03:28 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

I don't have a problem with someone believing something, right or wrong (I've told him before I don't care what he does with his amps)...but when that someone tells everyone else they are doing it wrong just becuase it isn't their way, then it becomes counterproductive and irksome.
Old 14th October 2008, 04:57 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
I don't have a problem with someone believing something, right or wrong (I've told him before I don't care what he does with his amps)...but when that someone tells everyone else they are doing it wrong just becuase it isn't their way, then it becomes counterproductive and irksome.
Can you offer them some another way to become legendary designers?
Old 20th December 2008, 07:24 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Quote:

but when that someone tells everyone else they are doing it wrong just becuase it isn't their way,

then it becomes counterproductive and irksome.

poor communication skills may be one reason,

why people might want to k*ll the messenger,

Hide this!Advertise here!