• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

transmitter tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But I'm still not exactly certain that I'll do with it. The other thing is I have a 5000 va transformer core in my garage and was contemplating trying to wind a output transformer with it.
But i'm still not certian what I'll do with it.

Got any ideas?????

Nick

nhuwar said:
You might be right but do you know how rare a 3-1000 is. But hay you ony live once.

Nick

Yes indeed 3-1000`s seem scarce but there are lots of other used transmitting tubes collecting dust on shelves. I have three 5 kW triodes here with forced air cooled anodes, special sockets and filament xfmers, all from a 1954, 10 kW RCA AM broadcast xmitter I parted out. It was my rcavictim! :D

I have an Eimac 3CX1000D pulled from an FM radio station final still useable for hobby use. ;) I have a new Eimac 4CX15000D and the real socket. I had a nice pair of 3-2500 something, copper air cooled anodes and heavy flying filament leads form a US Hamfest. I traded them off for a full tube caddy of NOS treasures.

I cannot recommend the 833A enough for tabletop playing (and they are good for audio!!!) and if you want to buy new tubes, get the carbon anode 833C made in China from www.rfparts.com These take real abuse. Last time I looked they were only about the cost of a pair of cheap Electro-HARM-onix 300B`s.

5 kVA core eh?! My brain hurts. What is it wound with or to do presently?

rcavictim said:

Nick,

Power tubes with four `odes in them are crappy in the application of a self regenerative power oscillator driving a tesla coil. You want three `odes. a 3PR1000 would be great. I never heard of one though. 833A`s are fantastic and one is a great match to a microwave oven power xfmer. Look what I did with one. 22 inch discharge! 833A`s parallel well and there are bigger triodes to be had.

I suppose then that TY4-400 would be quite good: see my Avatar!
7N7

The core was out of a online ups. Yes I do know about rf part they are in my tube retailers favs.

I'm actually thinking about buying my 2 845's from them for my up coming se monoblocks.

I see you coil runs 833a's how much power are you pushing through them.

I've also been planning on going to so ham fests this summer it will be my first time and I can't wait I know theres alot of good tubes there.

Nick

Hello Sparky.

The last and maddest project, which was never finished sadly although all the elements had been tested in prototype form, was a stereo mid-range amplifier. This used triode strapped YL1071 (there is a US number but I have forgotten it) driven by 7788 pentode cathode followers with active G2 supply, with 7N7s at the front, all balanced of course. It was especially a pity as the driver stage had incredibly low distortion.

7N7

Paul,

YL1071 = 8116

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.