• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

WE 310A vs. Russian 310A in WE91

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again all!
I've been searching this site and the net for info that may tell me which is the better tube for the WE91b amp?
Is it still so that the "good old" WE 310A still beats the competition sonically as driver in this design? What about the Russian 310? Does anybody know, - have anybody compared? If anyone has other experiences with various equivalents, please let us know. Looking forward to all input on this.
Asking this question since I have quite a few of the WE 310A's and also know how to get hold of some STC 4310 A ... Do I need to get hold of some Russians too??
I was thinking that you guys might help, - saving me some money too.
Best Regards

I have found that some find the 6C6 as a "better" tube as driver insted of the WE310A in WE91 amp based circuits. It's said to be almost a pure substitute for the WE310A, only differs in heater voltage (6v). The 6C6 is said to be just as smoothe and give clearer highs ... Yet at other places I see that the 6C6 is said to be very inferior to the WE310A in sound, that the WE 310A is head and shoulders better in almost every respect ... You see why I'm wondering about the Russian equivalent ... I haven't found any comments or places where this tube has replaced the WE 310A, only heard it mentioned to be a good (or perhaps) better sounding tube ... Well, - does anybody know anything?
Hoping for an answer. Perhaps I can avoid having to buy Russian 310's my self to test ... - or perhaps it seems that I just got to try them to find out, - if there isn't anyone who have tried ...

the WE 348 is a 310 with diff heater volt's

the Real prize are the RCA 1603

we engineers said the rca1603

are less noisy than the we tubes

from;

75 years of wetern electric tube manufacturing

Attachments

• 75years2.jpg
    75years2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 998
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.