• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

choosing cap values for aikido

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My aikido-based preamp has some low-freq resonance in the B+ (probably due its high Q-factor). There appears to be a 0.1V ripple around 12 hertz or so.

Anyways, my question isn't how to fix the PSU...it's how to block it from hitting my outputs.

http://tubecad.com/2005/January/25/Aikido_Amplifier.png

In the above schematic, I have the top cap at 0.1uF as specified in the schematic. Can this be adjusted to deal with B+ resonance?

My output coupling cap is 0.47uF, which gives me a cutoff of ~3Hz. Is the best idea to reduce that to 0.1uF to increase the cutoff to ~15Hz? If I did that, how would I compute the signal dB down point at 20Hz to see how that affects my signal response?

AND...I get a HUGE voltage spike at turnoff...up to 20V on the outputs. Will reducing that coupling cap reduce the output voltage, or is that spike due to the B+ dropping rapidly when the power is cut?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm learning...but slowly...

Thanks,
Jayme

SY said:

Fix the PSU.

Increasing the output rolloff frequency to 15 Hz will well and truly ruin the bass- the phase shifts are very significant.

I am working on that....the resonance was 0.4V AC at 15Hz yesterday...so I am improving the PSU...But, I actually learn more about how the signal circuit functions and overall PSU design from my mistakes with the PSU circuit.

Hence, my questions above. They are more for my overall understanding of how the aikido-based signal circuits work, which then helps me refine my understanding and make it better.

Any thoughts? Especially about that first cap that shunts AC noise to the lower half of the output stage...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.