c3m + 300b + miller capacitance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default c3m + 300b + miller capacitance

Hi,

I'm considering to use c3m pentode as driver for a 7236 dual triode se, the latter needs 100Vpp swing and the former can deliver 115Vpp

BUT

When calculating the low pass -3db point due to miller capacitance I get around 19khz = not good.

What baffles me is that the c3m gets used by several people to drive a 300b; relevant c3m variables won't differ much in those circuits and in mine (260V B+/10K load/ ca. 200k Ri) AND the 300b has even worse Cag than 7236 (15 vs. 10)... So... Could anyone shed a light on this enigma? Is c3m-300b a bad miller capacitance mariage or should I practice a little harder on my miller calculations (probably!)?

Thanks alot!!!

Simon
Old 24th October 2006, 07:32 PM   #2
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Excellent question. Very relevant to a project I have going. Woud also love to hear some insight.
Old 24th October 2006, 10:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

http://www.diyparadiso.com/triple1.htm

Triple 300B, c3m driver = 3* miller capacitance

Still chewing on the same teaser

Simon
Old 25th October 2006, 08:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well... on Benny's triple 300B design, if I calculated correctly, I get a f(-3dB) of around 23kHz.

You have to include the plate load resistor of the pentode (none, in Benny's design, as it has a plate choke) in parallel with the grid-ground resistor(s)s on the 300B(s) (a total of 27.5k in this case) in the output impedance of the driver. This dominates the Zo of the driver, but it is also in parallel with the Rp of the pentode.

On the single 300B, freq response depends on what those resistors are. With a typical resistive load on a c3m there should be no problem...

Pete
Old 25th October 2006, 10:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks a lot Pete, I put the plate load and Rp in series in my calculations... c3m looks perfect for the job

Simon
Old 25th October 2006, 05:06 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Did you put the load load resistor and the tube rp in series or parallel? The C3M source impedance is actually the thevenin equivalent of rp and the plate load resistor in parallel, not series. This incidentally would improve the picture still further.
Old 25th October 2006, 10:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you put the load load resistor and the tube rp in series or parallel?
Yep, that's the mistake. I'm not exactly following you with mr. Thevenin but common mathematical sense tells me that my error should lead to a big difference in end result......... and then there's the comfort of relying on predecessors doing similar things... If the wheel rolls smoothly no need to question it's roundness

Simon

Hide this!Advertise here!