• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Got my 6BG6GA's last night

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After hearing SY speak a while back about the 6BG6GA's he was using in some of his amps I was moved to order a matched quad of them and (4) of the put together adapters. Very nice tube indeed and the price is well within anyones means. The site I purchased them from claims they ran them on 500 VDC plate and I think 450 VDC screen. I believe they are rated at 35 watts.

Could I try these in my Quicksilvers that run about 478 plate and run 50mA each thru them? That would be about 24 watts?

Thoughts?

Sorry if you think this is inappropriate, but I bought the same tubes on SY's recommendation and still am hemming and hawwing about how to use them.

My most recent idea is the following, a 6EJ7/6SN7 Aikido, the idea being that it'll be relatively easy to implement since I think I can cram 2 of the small pentodes into the 1st tube position on one of the Group Buy octal PCB's, plus I already have these tubes. Gain is a little low, only about 30 by my calc, but will it have the oomph to drive these tubes?

Attachments

• 6ej7_6sn7_aikido.jpg
    6ej7_6sn7_aikido.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 488
One thing I don't really understand about these hormone enhanced 6BG6GAs is whether thaey are really high perveyance sweep tubes or 6L6GCs in disguise with a top hat? Is the screen grid high gain like in a sweeo tube? I was thinking of dropping a pair of these in my 6CD6GA enhanced triode SE amp after I have it up and running for a while. From the sweep tube specs it looks like I would be better off using it in standard triode strapped mode due to the higher screen voltage rating, though I would have to completely retune the bias circuit to match the higher sensitivity. I bought a dozen - the price was too low to resist.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.