• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Convert EL84 to 6V6? Anyone try this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a guitar amp that has PC mounted EL84 sockets. I like the EL84 sound, but hate the chatter that is so common to these tubes. So, I'm considering switching to 6V6 tubes, but the bases are not the same. I'd prefer not to hack the PCB to put the 6v6 sockets in. Anyone seen a socket converter to go from nine pine to 8 pin femle? The opposite of what the yellow jackets do. Oh, yea, I'm aware of all the other bias/screen issues etc.

Thanks.

If you have enought room, the best is to DIY it :eek: ... (by the way, where are we ?!?)
in addition you'll have the right pinout !!! (could be usefull)

Oh, yea, I'm aware of all the other bias/screen issues etc.

Don't forget about Z out, feedback... (but between these tubes I don't think mismatch won't be that big), lastly have you looked at
6V6 filament current ? (maybe it's a good idea, depends of your PT)

regards

One other thing to consider
6V6 max Rg1 values are about 1/2 what EL84 will tolerate.
For 6V6 max Rg1 for fixed bias is 100K. If you are running some lovely old NOS 6V6Gs or similar you will NOT want to exceed those max Rg1 values.
Having said that I've run the new JJ 6V6 in fixed bias with Rg1 of 220K without any problems. I tried the JJ 6V6 initially because of its much higher than NOS Va (500V) and Vg2 ratings but turned out they sound great too.
Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.