• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ultrapath output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know that the parafeed configuration calls for special requirements regarding the construction of the output transformers used in eg. a linestage. What about the ultrapath configuration. Can I use the same transformers as I would have done in a "standard" configuration? (We are talking linestage here.)

No, you can't use parafeed transformers. There is DC on them.
My understanding is that "Parafeed" transformers are not designed to have DC current across their primary.
There should be no issue using them in an ultrapath circuit, because the cap on the cathode leg of the transformer blocks DC current from plate to cathode.
Since there is no DC current, transformers with less air gap and a smaller cores can be used.

Regards;

Doug

I have not tried parafeed myself and this is something I'd like to explore. I have a spud amp made of a single 417A which is wired normally. As I am having small OPTs made, I am hoping of getting better performance if I wire the amp in parafeed.

So the next question is, what sort of capacitor one should use for parafeed? I understand it has to be relatively high in value, i.e., 5uF or something and must be non-polar. Is this really the case?

DougL said:

My understanding is that "Parafeed" transformers are not designed to have DC current across their primary.
There should be no issue using them in an ultrapath circuit, because the cap on the cathode leg of the transformer blocks DC current from plate to cathode.
Since there is no DC current, transformers with less air gap and a smaller cores can be used.

No, you are wrong. The ultrapath is a single feed design.

Here's the schematic

Pix-B.gif

shamelessly taken from http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/ETF.html

If there is no DC through the transformer, then there is no DC through the tube either.

arnoldc said:
So the next question is, what sort of capacitor one should use for parafeed? I understand it has to be relatively high in value, i.e., 5uF or something and must be non-polar. Is this really the case?
There is aparently a bit of black magic involved, but that magic depends on the plate load. If you use a choke load, then there is some math you can do, but with a CCS it is little more guess work. But, 5uF is usually a good starting point (Here's where I asked the same question, I am drsx over there): http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/magnequest/messages/5502.html

There is aparently a bit of black magic involved, but that magic depends on the plate load. If you use a choke load, then there is some math you can do, but with a CCS it is little more guess work. But, 5uF is usually a good starting point (Here's where I asked the same question, I am drsx over there): http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/m...sages/5502.html
Thanks for the link. It was a good read.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.