• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Voltage Regulator Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi CarlyBoy,
Any old text books from the early 60's and before will cover this topic. The early Radio Amateurs Handbooks should cover this also. Your listed resources should cover this topic quite well also.

Wavebourn, more than one way to skin a cat. CarlyBoy wants to use tubes for this. Notice he asked in the tube forum.

-Chris

Bob Pease, a staff scientist for National Semiconductor and a writer for Electronic Design magazine, ran a series of articles on a tube regulated supply and ripple reduction. In the first of the series, attached here, you can see the basic schematic. In the next two articles, he described a novel approach to ripple reduction using feedback to modulate the PS "ground". While this regulator will be too complicated for most audiophiles, it does show how well a tube unit can perform, and might give some design ideas.

Attachments

• pease tube regulator part 1.pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 596
anatech said:

Wavebourn, more than one way to skin a cat. CarlyBoy wants to use tubes for this. Notice he asked in the tube forum.

-Chris

Notice I've asked him why the tube, not you. To achieve the same results with tubes as with modern semiconductors a power regulator needs to be much more expensive and radiate more heat. If there are some other reasons to use tubes in regulators, I would like to know them. But I defenitely do not like anymore to read your comments with destructive meaningless critics, Chris. And I assume, nobody likes...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Wavebourn said:

Notice I've asked him why the tube, not you. To achieve the same results with tubes as with modern semiconductors a power regulator needs to be much more expensive and radiate more heat. If there are some other reasons to use tubes in regulators, I would like to know them. But I defenitely do not like anymore to read your comments with destructive meaningless critics, Chris. And I assume, nobody likes...

Hi,

While similar, yes even technically better, results may be achieved by using sand that same sand invariably will leave its sonic fingerprint. A fingerprint some us just do not like.

This is why some of us still use vacuum technology in the first place. Call us crazy but not deaf.....

Cheers, ;)

Quote:

Hi,

While similar, yes even technically better, results may be achieved by using sand that same sand invariable will leave its sonic fingerprint. A fingerprint some us just do not like.

This is why some of us still use vacuum technology in the first place. Call us crazy but not deaf.....

Cheers,

Welcome back Frank.

Like Frank said

Plus, I like the cool colors.:clown:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Howdy, Joe.:cool:

Further to my previous post, there are a myriad of reasons why one would prefer to use vacuum tubes for regulation besides sound or other personal preferences.
Among these would rank reliability, ease of replacement in case of a faulty tube, just some examples that spring to mind.

Most of all, it's fun to learn and let's face it, semi-conductors are such boring devices, aren't they? :dead:

Cheers, ;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Most of all, it's fun to learn and let's face it, semi-conductors are such boring devices, aren't they? :dead:

Tests differ. Both are when used inproperly. :D

Why don't we have a forum for lowers of optimal solutions where we may discuss combinations of tube, solid state analog, digital technologies for better results such as clearest signatures, and nobody will kick us? :D

FWIW, my take on the tube regulator versus solid-state regulator question: If we set aside noise for a moment, all power supplies, regulated or not, will present some amount of output impedance to the supplied audio circuit. Zero ohms is the goal, but reality gives us something else. This impedance will be non-linear, creating distortion, just like any other impedance due to active devices. Furthermore, this impedance will have a resistive part, and a reactive part (a phase angle) which varies across the audio band. As signal current flows through the power supply, it creates a voltage across this impedance. This distorted voltage, hopefully tiny, will then add to the desired signal passing through the amplifier. In this way, the sonic footprint of the regulator is heard in the output. This new signal voltage will carry with it the distortion character of the power supply components that created it. Would you rather listen to a signal voltage created by a regulator triode’s cathode, or by a regulator transistor’s emitter or FET source? If it's going to be audible, I'll pick the tube's character any day.

Having said all that, it is possible to design either a tube or a solid state regulator with an output impedance of far less than 1 ohm across the audio band, so that any signal voltage created will be exceedingly tiny. Not everyone goes to this trouble (see my prior posting's schematic). If they did, there would be less to argue about.

Furthermore, if you place capacitor(s) across the output, which is usual, the cap(s) will usually define the output impedance at higher frequencies.

And, some audio circuits will be more susceptible to residual power supply signal voltages than others. Class A push-pull or balanced topologies will be the least susceptible.

So the selection of power supply regulator is not only a matter of taste, but also a matter of regulator design performance attained, as well as the power supply rejection of the supplied audio circuit. In other words, it depends...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi All,
CarlyBoy requested more information on tube regulation.
See post #1 ...........
I'd like to learn more about series voltage regulation with tubes.
Wavebourn, I was not doing anything except pointing this out. If you wish to debate this choice, please start your own thread. You will notice I did not state a preference.
Why don't we have a forum for lowers of optimal solutions where we may discuss combinations of tube, solid state analog, digital technologies for better results such as clearest signatures, and nobody will kick us?
By talking about it here, you are threadjacking. We have a thread for that too. :D (Threadjacking)

Brian,
Agreed on all your points. Thanks.

-Chris

Brian Beck said:

So the selection of power supply regulator is not only a matter of taste, but also a matter of regulator design performance attained, as well as the power supply rejection of the supplied audio circuit. In other words, it depends...

Yeah, and it is exactly what I meant... I can't find any technical reason why tubes may be preferrable for the voltage regulator if to have specs in mind that excludes "I want to use them"...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Wavebourn,
I can't find any technical reason why tubes may be preferrable for the voltage regulator if to have specs in mind that excludes "I want to use them"...
Not important. CarlyBoy requested more information on tube regulation. He made his request. We are not here to debate that in this thread.

-Chris

Wavebourn said:

Yeah, and it is exactly what I meant... I can't find any technical reason why tubes may be preferrable for the voltage regulator if to have specs in mind that excludes "I want to use them"...

is it so hard to create a new thread if you want to thoroughly discuss tube vs SS regulation? :)

have some respect towards carlyboy who wants to learn about tube regulation!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.