• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

bypassing preamp board in integrated amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have an audio innovations 300Mk2 integrated amp. My problem is that there are too few inputs (3+phono). Would anyone know would it be a simple job to somehow rig in a switch that would allow me to use a standalone preamp straight into the power amp section.

There is a schematic here:
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/ai/ai300mk2.gif

although I realise that some photos of the inside of the amp would be more useful. I wouldn't really like to do something irreversible to this amp as its really good, but something like a pair of RCA inputs with a little switch beside for bypass would be really good!

What do you think?

(thinking about something like a kookaburra/darwin as the preamp)

Fran

PCB "surgery" is not risk free. You could wreck the unit while attempting to modify it.

I suggest you take a simpler path to solving the issue of insufficient line level I/Ps. Buy or build a switch box that selects among several sets of I/Ps and passes the chosen source to the O/P jacks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.