• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

RS253 giant SE monoblock (Chinese)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 399149.jpg
    399149.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 617
280 Watts of heater power

12,000 Volts max and 800 W Anode dissipation max.
mu of 50 and gm of 2.5 mA (hey - its grandpa 12AT7)

Run it really conservatively and you'll get 160 Watts Single Ended. Its probably run even more conservatively than that since 160W SE Output Tranny would be as large as the tube.

I wonder what would prompt someone to build something like this - surely it could'nt just be a case of my single end is larger than your single end - could it??

Cheers,
Ian

Well the WE 212 (is that the number??) is extremely LARGE too...

Biggest glass tubes I ever layed my eyes on were in the Carteret NJ transmitter site of the original WOR, NY. A 100kw (conservatively) rated true WALK IN - with a door in the floor to ceiling (30 ft ceiling) glass and chrome art-deco front panel, which was an entire wall... the tubes were at least 5 feet long, and there were a considerable number of them... could have had some at the time, but I was quite afraid of the potential danger of breaking the glass on one.

But, I digress... how much does that thing cost?? Any idea?

_-_-bear

I have a giant thyratron from an estate sale sitting in the garage. Its about 2 feet high with a glass envelope and leads coming out the bottom. I'll have to post a pic. Never did find out what or where it came from. The filament leads are about #6 stranded!

gingertube said:
I wonder what would prompt someone to build something like this - surely it could'nt just be a case of my single end is larger than your single end - could it??

Cheers,
Ian

Braggin' rights. Fire that up and get a 200W SET. However, who really needs 200W? If you did, then a push/pull with pentodes would make far more sense. After all, getting an OPT that can handle the power, the DC magnetization, and work well at the low and high end is impossible. Once you pass the 40W level or so, winding a good SE xfmr becomes quite difficult.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.