• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#19 biased class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: can't remember

Robert Morin said:
It was so long ago (8years) that I can't remember the B+. The 1h4 was cathode biased. The sound was VERY clear just not lively.

Robert M.
Wait!!! What am I saying! the 1h4 is a DHT - IE no cathode I can'y really remember what I did but I remember useing those 2 volt battery tubes and being impressed at first but later not being happy with the dynamic performance. They would make a good "sanitizer" for recording things like Bass and drums though.

Robert Morin

The first amp I ever buildt was a pre-amp based on a type #30 (UX4 based 1H4G).

This being the first tube amp, I really had it running for a long time. I really liked it.

My amp was a normal cathode biased Resistor loaded RC coupled gain stage. (one 22R resistor from each cathode leg to a common cathode resistor).

The one thing I really learned from that amp, besides how anoying HUM can be, was how much the sound depended uppon the passive components. It was a simple design, and the bypass cap on the cathode alone had a huge impact. Use a crappy BP-cap (or coupling cap..), and it will indeed sound compressed and soaked!
My first choice at the time was a Panasonic Low Impedance type. Later I got some Sanyo OS-CON's, and I was amazed! It seemed like I had been listening to the bypass cap, and not the tube! And even better it got when I got some Elna ARD series caps!

I guess one needs top-of-the-line parts if one wants to make these tubes sing.

My first sound test with that amp was on a NAD 340, connected it straight to the power amp, on to B&W monitors. I never used the transistor preamp inside the NAD again (well, not as long as I had that NAD...:) I would describe it as very clear from top to bottom, sparkling and veil-lifting. Far from 'compressed'.

But, with that said, must admit I have never heard other DHT's like the 26, or IHT's like the 27... so... heh.... bye!

stigla

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CRAPPY CAPS

Hi,

Use a crappy BP-cap (or coupling cap..), and it will indeed sound compressed and soaked!

My experience exactly.

If you want to find out what a big electrolytic cap sounds like put one over the cathode R in a preamp and you'll hear the sound and transient response go down the tubes (pun intended):)

For bias I much prefer fixed bias (several ways possible) over cathode bias.

Cheers,;)

Oh god, are we getting into a cap discussion again????:bawling:

Back to the tubes...
a) Let me say this - usually, when I hear someone say "all ____ tubes sound _____" they are wildly generalizing, often from a single experience. I've breadboarded #30's, #112's, #01's, #31's many times now, and never had a bad experience.
Hum is a non-issue, since they have such low gain, and use DC filaments. And the sound was as full-range as any other tube I've wired up. I think they're relatively tough, very forgiving tubes, and easy to work with. This is contrary to the popular belief - 90% of whom don't own any of these tubes.
b) All the early tubes were designed to be operated with fixed bias, and you will do yourself a big favor by running them this way.

fdegrove said:
FWIW,I hear most people say the Lundahl are better.
The couple of people who's reports I've read, say the Lundahls have better <i>measured</i> high frequency balance due to a better winding and interleaving pattern mainly, a worthwhile feature in a phase splitter.

My most recent lot of Lundahl iron just turned up today after being stuck on the docks for 10 weeks. Now if I could just get some more 6C19pi's, I might get the preamp finished over the holidays.

Cheers

point well taken --Fixed Bias --

Maybe I should give this class of tubes a second chance. My effort with these tubes was in the "early" days of my tube efforts. Maybe at the end of 2003 I will check in to this again. For now I am finishing up a SS eq for studio and MI applications. The chassis will be finished in the 2nd week of 2003 - HURRAY!

Robert Morin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.