• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

More Edcor XSM10K/10K Specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had asked for some more detailed specs on this transformer a while back, and Larry Weston sent me this today...

Casey, Some of the info you wanted. These units are wound bifilar. DCR primary & secondary 620 ohms.Inductance primary & secondary @ 1000 Hz 36 H. Leakage inductance with secondary shorted 5 mH.Capacitance primary to secondary 41 nF. All measurements at 1000 Hz and no loads. These are nominal(average of 25 units, minor variation with samples +/- 5 %.

Larry Weston

Perhaps the more savvy transformer folk could comment on these specs.

-Casey

With that inductance and leakage capacitance, I'd use them as no higher than 4.5K/4.5K impedance, if you want HiFi performance.

But, I've underestimated Edcor's before... they have yet to not surprise me in the performance-for-price department.

Hey Tubelab, whaddya know of these ones?

36H should tell you enough to proceed conservatively.... Most PP
transformers have Lpri around 300 H. Case in point being the
Lundahl 1660/PP which is designed for PP 6SN7 (at worst) and 20-30kHz (at best).

Let empiricism rule... I have... Keep the source impedance low and
keep DC off the primaries and they work well.

Dont forget, the work really nicely as input transformers and are an
inexpensive way to do a phase splitter. The circuit to try is this:

XSM600/10K -> 6SN7 differential pair -> KT66/6V6/whatnot -> 6.6K/8

Drop a cheap CCS on the differential pair.... Drive the XSM600 input
from a decent PC sound card with 600 ohm XLR out. Golden.
Immaculate. :)

-- Jim

The capacitance is not shunt, but between primary and secondary. This is typical of bifilar wound transformers. You can think of it as a 'hidden' coupling cap. Provided it's connected properly (you don't try to use it to invert phase) the capacitive coupling actually improves hf response where the inductive couple becomes less effective.

-- Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.