• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

This is incredible!--An audio epiphany!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Definitely single digits. I'm convinced that this is one reason the low frequencies from my amplifiers sound so.... non-directional, and acoustic, which I prefer. When I use my mosfet amp with damping of 200+, the lows seem incredibly point oriented, and 'focused'. To me, that's not an effect I prefer.

***DISCLAIMER: I make no scientific claims here. I am merely floating a half-baked theory.:rolleyes:

Back to topic-

Can anyone tell me if there would be any difference soundwise if I lowered the resistor to 5K and adjusted the capacitor accordingly vs. the 10K and .050 MICROfarad I have now.

Anybody else out there using two single ended amps in a bi-amp setup?

Going downstairs to listen again.........

Ciao!

Lee

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
FREE LUNCH

Hi,

difference soundwise if I lowered the resistor to 5K and adjusted the

Hard to tell without knowing what precedes and follows the circuit at hand.

The total R of 10K was likely chosen for a couple of reasons:

1/not to load the preamp too much.

2/to arrive at standard value parts,or close enough.

Cheers,;)

RADIOLEE said:
Can anyone tell me if there would be any difference soundwise if I lowered the resistor to 5K and adjusted the capacitor accordingly vs. the 10K and .050 MICROfarad I have now.
Go the other way, up in impedance an order of magnitude to 100k. Your preamp will prefer driving higher impedance loads, and it's easier to get high tolerance, high quality capacitors in smaller values. Usually cheaper too.

Something else to try too, esp if you're using the 6dB option, is that in the S.E.X. amp there is a 0u47 cap before the 270k grid resistor. As you already have the cap in the signal path, why not resize it to be the correct value for the high pass element in your xover? You already have the cap in the signal path, so use it as an advantage, rather than adding another one.

dhaen said:

Good for the source, but the destination wiring must be short.
Thanks John, good point. I always put the networks at the amp inputs or between amp stages, and I should have added it for clarity.

Which ribbons? All the ones I've ever heard sounded awful (to my ears), although the new ESg range looks interesting.

Cheers

Brett-

Thanks for the tip on the internal capacitor.

Having bought these on eBag, I didn't get a schematic.

Dan at Electronic Tonalities is a great guy, and I have always found him very accessible and helpful.

Do you have any experience with his 2A3 amps? I am considering buying a couple so I can have a whopping 5 watts to drive the altecs.

Anybody want to buy a Hafler 500????

Ho Ho Ho

Lee

RADIOLEE said:
Do you have any experience with his 2A3 amps? I am considering buying a couple so I can have a whopping 5 watts to drive the altecs.
Nope. I'm not a big fan of SETs because they all sound muddy to me (well all I've ever heard). When my system is complete, I'd like to try some parafeed designs as it only means the purchase of some chokes.

Also, before you decide on a low watt amp, get a RatShack SPL meter and check how loud you like to listen, and back calculate power requirements, with headroom, from this. You might find 5W isn't enough to not sound compressed on peaks. A SE 2A3 will have a fair bit of (obvious) distortion at 5W!
I have horns and I use more than this. FTR, my <i>average</i> listening level is about 85dB or so, with peaks obviously extending well above that.

I'd like to put a passive line-level xover between two tube buffers, would this be a good idea, or should I just build a traditional active xover? I really don't need a high order slope and would prefer a 1st or 2nd order slope anyways. Are there any advantages to a "normal" active xover compared to the one I want to make? Or is there any point to putting it between two tube buffers, maybe I should just keep it between my preamp and amp? I'd rather stay away from feedback, and with a pllxo I can acomplish that and keep the parts count low and relatively cheap (so I can make a switch to select frequency and order).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.