caddocks mk132: has anyone used them for tube projects? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2006, 06:28 AM   #1
jarthel is offline jarthel  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default caddocks mk132: has anyone used them for tube projects?

any feedback on how it sounds on the circuit?

thank you.

ps. could be an invitation for a flame-fest so please limit replies to circuits you have built or circuits you have extensively used (could an preamp/amp you borrowed from a friend)
Old 14th October 2006, 01:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The tube guys here tend to talk in generic terms about caps and resistors. If you search or reread some favorite threads you will see a lot of positive comments about thick film resistors in tube amps, especially for the bias resistor service.
Old 14th October 2006, 11:32 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have used these in several designs and am not really sold on them. I prefer the old Holco H2/H4 resistors despite the reliability issues for their "sound." They are still available in limited quantities from Michael Percy as well as several good sounding subs, I think there are other currently available "boutique" metal films that perform as well and cost less. Note that a lot of currently available mf resistors are made by subsidiaries of Vishay, but they aren't all the same by any means.

My major issue with some generic mf types is that the dissimilar metals in the resistor end terminations can sometimes introduce measurable non-linearities. Some years ago I got a batch of "bad" mepco electra 15K mf resistors (rn60) that generated 0.15% thd all on their own, and this with all of 1Vrms across it. I discovered this after trying to figure out why a new pre-amp design sounded bad, it had several of these in the signal path - replacing them with another brand solved the problem.
Old 20th October 2006, 03:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
I prefer the old Holco H2/H4 resistors despite the reliability issues for their "sound."
I really like Holco resistors too. I've used the small H8 wattage ones post-DAC in a CD player and they sounded more open and lush than stock, Vishay/Dale, and Caddock bulk film. The only thing better was the Vishay bulk films which are about $14 EACH (for the .6 watt size)! Holco's are a tremendous bargain for what they do compared to boutique capacitors. BTW, they are not artificially lush, just musical. The expensive resistors were more neutral and transparent. They also showed Holco to have a hint of darkness, which I far prefer to edginess. Its the same conclusion Hifi News and Record Review reached many (10?) years ago in a resistor comparison article.
Old 21st October 2006, 05:42 AM   #5
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

I like the sound of Holco but find them a bit dynamically challenged with a lack of bottom end robustness.

I guess you can't have everything.

Hide this!Advertise here!