• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My new project, 2 x KT88 60W amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
peritus307 said:
Yeah .. cool stuff.. I'm motivated to set up an LCD screen above my bed so I can read it all....

Check out this related thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73781&highlight=

well it seems that we are building similar projects :D

I will make some modifications to the schematic of that PDF. I wont use a pentode for the first stage, will be something like this:

first stage: 12AX7 diff-amp with a solid-state current source
driver: 12AU7
output: 2xKT88

Power supply:

the 500v supply:
8x220uF 400V caps for the power supply
2x 0.47uF 630V
4xBY228 fast diodes (1.5KV / 2A)
And the bias power supply (bridge diodes + 470uF)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Phantom load for measurement (6 ohm)

Long time ago since my last post.

The project is going well. I have to make some adjustments (Feedback, etc)

some pictures:

In this next picture, look just below the PSU transformer. It's the 10H 250ma choke :cool: good support for the PSU trans. :D

What do you think? isn't beautifull?? :devilr:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
zafira1981 said:
I didn't know about that. I hope you're wrong :D

By the way, it only has a little hum that I still have to fix.

No, actually he is right, but in this instance you may get away with it. (or not) In your next project though you definitely want to mount the output transformers at right angles to the power transformer.

How about some pictures of the underside of your amplifier? May help some of us identify other potential sources of hum in your amplifier.

rotating the two output transformers will be boring and annoying but can be made simply. In fact, i think i could use the same holes.

Here is a pic of the connection side.

It's not finished. I'm making a little bit of order. When I used the amp for the first time it was a mess , really a mess of cables & stuff.

twist

all heaterwires should be twisted, perhaps better not to hop from tube to tube but all heaterconnections to central startingpoint.

make sure there is only 1 earth point connected to the chassis.

shielded wire from inputplug to first tube.

use gridstoppers everywhere

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Definitely twist all heater wires, this is particularly critical the low level input stage and driver stage. There should be no heater wire loop around the socket, arrange things so that the wires pass entirely around one side or the other of the socket, not both sides.

The filament circuit(s) should not be floating, if there is a center tap available it should be grounded or elevated above ground with a bypassed voltage divider. Elevating the filaments above ground will help with filament/cathode breakdown voltage ratings in LTP and cathodyne (split load) inverters by reducing the voltage difference between the two. Usually this also results in much quieter operation as it reduces leakage in the insulation from filament to cathode. Just be careful not to exceed the insulation rating of any tube filament sharing that filament supply.

There should only be one connection between the chassis and the amplifier ground. Use a star ground arrangement or buss grounding with only one point connected to chassis. There should also be a connection for mains safety ground to chassis right at the point where power enters the amplifier.

You should use rubber grommets anywhere wires pass through the chassis. (Output and power transformers)

Since you say it is relatively easy to rotate the output transformers 90 degrees I'd do this. This will virtually eliminate the mutual inductance between the power and outputs and greatly reduce coupling between them.

Grid stopper resistors should be used on all tubes - 1K should be sufficient for most types. These must be mounted right at the socket to be effective.

220 - 1K resistors on the screen grids of your KT88 will save you a lot of grief by preventing parasitic vhf oscillations in the output tube.
A number of use have had reliability problems with some small metal films in this location (me included) so I would recommend a 1W resistor and I generally used carbon film for this purpose.

edit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.