• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Integrated" or "stand alone"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While I'm gathering up all of my Xformers and power supply bits.... I'm wondering if I would be wise to build my Power amp (P-P stereo EL34) as a stand alone unit essentially from the Phase Inverter back to the OT perhaps with a single preamp stage. And then building a separate Preamp (Aikido or something... I keep seeing that name pop up way too often, must not suck.)

Or should I just simply do a more "integrated' type amp and go ahead and incorporate the pre, volume, and input switching all in one unit...

I'd appreciate some guidance by you guys that play with tube Hi-Fi stuff. This is my first dive into a homebrew Hi-Fi setup (I'm not even really a Hi-Fi enthusiast of anykind right now.)

Ok, since I'm leaning toward a traditional Williamson power amp with EF86 Driver and 12ax7 Phase Inverter... Would an additional Line Stage be practical at all?

I am debating in fact just picking up an integrated Preamp like one of the common Carver units or equivalents as they are not only reasonable, but I also get remote control volume, input switching and FM... etc... (I have a stand alone tuner, but might be willing to trade off in order to keep components at a minimum. and to be able to have remote functions.)

I know that if I go the integrated SS Preamp I'll not need a line driver.

But I'm also thinking that a Tube pre might be sweet and give it 3 inputs (CD/MP3/Tuner). (Got all the parts on hand for something like a stand alone 12au7 Aikido...) What to do... I don't know if the EF86 Driver in the Williamson would be enough to handle those sources without a separate preamp....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SY,
But how about all the Sonic Holography circuits? DBx (outboard of course) and ... yes ...... graphic equalizers to smile at you. Then there are those room effects units. :clown:

You know, I am not adverse to well designed tone control circuits.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.