12b4 vs. aikido linestage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default 12b4 vs. aikido linestage

Hi,

A remark from burnedfingers in the thread about the etude preamp lead me to this question: how does a deluxe version 12b4 cathode follower ( with very good power supply, components and possibly active load) compare with the aikido-breed of linestages? Can anyone second the forementioned verdict that the aikido is in another league than a 12b4 cathode follower(although burnedfingers took the rather basic etude as comparison material) or give his thoughts on this subject?

I've breadboarded a 12b4 some time ago with good quality components throughout and oversized dual mono tube rectified ps; it sounded good although I never owned another preamp to compare with, didn't need a pre for my e80cc/el84 set and was a little careless with too long cables and chitty cathode caps; my only bad findings were harsh highs and weak bass (both probably caused by the mentioned flaws). To give an idea of the circuit: 290v B+, 34mA current draw each channel // 500 ohms cathode Rs // 4,7k anode load // oversized coupling caps for the power amp following. I first tried the Etude working point but too much soldering in between to do a fair comparison.

I'ld greatly appreciate any comments that could push me towards a definite version of a 12b4 (hope it'll get some praise here versus the aikido; I've got all the components lying here + I can find inspiration for good 12b4 signal circuitry in the many posts in this forum) or an aikido if those are soooo much better....

Muchas gracias,

Simon
Old 6th October 2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

EDIT: I'm talking about a grounded cathode, not a cathode follower as lapsed above
Old 14th August 2007, 11:38 AM   #3
pieroh is offline pieroh  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default 12B4 linestage

...try this ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg jeschkeit-khv.jpeg (43.7 KB, 551 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!