• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I was thinking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I was thinking. :D I know the ECL86 where the triode (C) are used as driver for the pentode (L).

Has there ever been made a tube with 2 triode inside, a small triode (driver) and a big triode (output)?

I can't remember I newer had seen a tube like that. :confused:
Has anyone seen one?

Regards

Benny

About 20 years ago, I built a small amp using pp 6GF7. Worked very nicely, gave 5 solid watts. This is a good approach for something small and simple.

edit: To be clear, most of these tubes are not designed for linearity, so distortion performance will not be state-of-the-art. But for many applications, it's Good Enough.

edit: To be clear, most of these tubes are not designed for linearity, so distortion performance will not be state-of-the-art. But for many applications, it's Good Enough.

Actually the vertical amplifier section of a TV needs to be very linear or things won't look right. The tube type TV sets usually had a "vertical linearity" control mounted on the rear panel. This adjusted the amount of cathode degeneration (feedback) in the output stage. You adjusted it to make round things look round. If you are old enough to remember an old TV where people were fat at the bottom, and all stretched out at the top, that was the linearity going away. It was usually caused by a weak tube, or a dying cathode bypass cap.

The tubes that were mentioned tend to make pretty good audio amps. I can get 2 watts from a 6EM7 or 6DN7 in SE mode. The famous Bottlehead SEX amplifier used the 6DN7. It gained a reputation as a decent low priced SE amplifier kit a few years ago.

tubelab.com said:

Actually the vertical amplifier section of a TV needs to be very linear or things won't look right. The tube type TV sets usually had a "vertical linearity" control mounted on the rear panel. This adjusted the amount of cathode degeneration (feedback) in the output stage. You adjusted it to make round things look round. If you are old enough to remember an old TV where people were fat at the bottom, and all stretched out at the top, that was the linearity going away. It was usually caused by a weak tube, or a dying cathode bypass cap.

The tubes that were mentioned tend to make pretty good audio amps. I can get 2 watts from a 6EM7 or 6DN7 in SE mode. The famous Bottlehead SEX amplifier used the 6DN7. It gained a reputation as a decent low priced SE amplifier kit a few years ago.

One more example is 6P15P (Svetlana sells it as SV83), it was designed for a TV vertical output as more linear than EL84 penthode. It sounds excellent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.