• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tubalizer..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I run SS sources and SS preamplifier/control amps. I have found that the power amp is where tubes make the most benefit if you desire tube sound. Get yourself a nice integrated tube amp, or build one.

If you are using a SS receiver now that has U-links allowing direct access to the control amp output, that can be your new control amp for the tube power amp.

Without knowing the efficiency of your speakers, the impedance, how big a room do you need to fill and how loud, and to some extent the type of music you listen to (headbanging metal or rock needs more power than jazz), it will be difficult to point you in a specific direction regarding a tube power amp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Adding a tube stage between an existing solid state pre-amp and solid state power amp may warm up the sound slightly, but in no sense will it give you any of the real virtues of tube sound. More sort of like adding a thin veneer over the lowest grade of plywood.. :D

I recommend borrowing a good tube amplifier if you can get your hands on one and deciding whether or not this is the direction you want to go in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.