Help wanted for a truly loco project. (A Tube--gainclone hybrid guitar amp!) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2006, 08:02 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
I just ordered tubes for a Fender Champ. I also snagged a 4000 ohm -> 8 ohm output transformer. Seeing as how a 7000 ohm winding is used on the original, this should give me 1.75x what the voltage ouput would be normally?

The output tube is a 6V6. Here's a simple configuration for a parafeed 6v6:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/ma...sages/318.html
Old 20th October 2006, 09:28 AM   #32
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could build something like the moonlight, but single ended with a resistor load rather than the output transformer. Then simply cascade the output into the gainclone (after attenuating it a bit first of course). If you were feeling very adventurous you could add a choke is series with the load resistor for some added pseudo-speaker mojo I suppose.
Old 21st October 2006, 01:08 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by Merlinb
You could build something like the moonlight, but single ended with a resistor load rather than the output transformer. Then simply cascade the output into the gainclone (after attenuating it a bit first of course). If you were feeling very adventurous you could add a choke is series with the load resistor for some added pseudo-speaker mojo I suppose.
The object of this amp is not to fake a tube amp, but to build a low-power tube amp and buffer it with a GainClone.

I found a 6.7k to 300 ohms interstage transformer on eBay for 10$. Is this suitable for replacing the output transformer in a Fender Champ amplifier? They're usually 7k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIO-INTERSTAGE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 21st October 2006, 08:31 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

You can use just about any transformer, if you are prepared to experiement with the interface between the transformer and the gainclone.

Shoog

Hide this!Advertise here!