• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High dollar power cords ...Myth or magic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joel,
Seems as though you've already made up your mind.

To others,
I have some ideas why some people (and not others) might find a difference:

I am one who doesn't.
But I...
Don't use equipment with Switchmode PS's
Nor equipment that affects the mains' "form factor" measurably
Do use balanced interconnects

Could there be a clue in there?:cool:

i really dont think power chords make a difference, unless we are talking about shilding, where better shilded power cables would reduce the ammount of interferance into over cables such as interconnects or speaker cable.

appart from that they do not change the sound - as the powersupply cleans up the power anyway

Power cords certainly don't make a difference in my system.;)

Attachments

• jvc.jpg
    jvc.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 356
However, in my wife's system the cords make tremendous difference. Changing cords and changing outlets shows immediately in sonic signature.

She was always the messy one.;) Gainclone in a center. I am really surprised with the abilities of this little chip. Sounds very promising, yet very dependant on a proper setup. Using acrylic feet or no feet, can be heard right away.

Attachments

• wife.jpg
    wife.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 348
Portable Power Plug Permutations...

Pete, I have found different removable AC cords can make a difference and that switching the polarity makes another difference too.

Regarding hifi gear power leads, I find silicone insulated (industrial and stage lighting) flex power cable makes a very agreeable difference to audio gear.

As for feet, I find differences according to the material used, in addition to the shape of them and positioning.
Lately I am finding spring steel engine valve springs work great, and particularly under heavy items including speakers.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.