Favorite Tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2006, 10:26 PM   #1
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Favorite Tubes

Hi all,
I'm looking for some tubes to try and wonder what peoples favorite resonable costing choices are. Looking for 5y3 rectifier, el84 power and 12ax7,12at7,12u7 input tube choices to try.
Thanks Dave
Old 26th September 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Best 12AT7s I've tried (and I've tried 'em all) were JJ, by far. They're too cheap and easy to get for the fashion set, but for those of us who go for performance over cachet, they're great.

The only good 12AU7 is a dead 12AU7.
Old 26th September 2006, 11:06 PM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi SY,
Quote:
I have some meters that beg to differ with you!

Hi Dave,
I like the Electroharmonix the best so far. I have yet to try JJ's. NOS tubes at high dollars are a complete waste of money.

-Chris
Old 27th September 2006, 12:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'll take a nasty old 12AU7 over a 2Nxxx or a 3Nxxx, or a 2SKxxx or a BCxxx anyday!
Old 27th September 2006, 12:29 AM   #5
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

I recently measured JJ EL84s in that application. Really nice but it was necessary to test a few samples to find the pick of the litter. Good ones show a beautifully monotonic decay of distortion harmonics falling quickly into noise, 'decent' samples fall quickly but retain a very long trail of low-level higher harmonic components. The good tubes sound terrific.

At the risk SY's cachet camp one of the big suppliers recently had the 1940s RCA 9002 Navy-tested radar triodes on sale for little over $2 a pop and to my ear they sound fabulous as a CCS-loaded driver with a couple LEDs on the cathode. Measure terrifically in that app too.
Old 27th September 2006, 12:33 AM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The curves on the 9002 look very interesting. A nice contender in the medium-mu races. What did the distortion spectra look like?
Old 27th September 2006, 01:57 AM   #7
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's the 7-pin equivalent of the 955 acorn.

955 Acorn tubes

That spectra as I recall was with a couple green LEDs for cathode bias so feedback reduced the third a little. Very quiet tube for hiss and in my application tapping it is audible as a low, well damped "tank" sound over 98 dB efficient speakers. I've read these tubes can be made significantly less susceptible with reduced filament voltage. Nice little unit.
Old 27th September 2006, 03:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY

Quote:
I'll take a nasty old 12AU7 over a 2Nxxx or a 3Nxxx, or a 2SKxxx or a BCxxx anyday!
I really love this forum.

I got some nos 5y3gt and 5v4 (mostly sylvannia) for my preamps and several 5u4gb, 5R4wgb for my tube amp.

I use 6SN7 mostly for my preamps, some are nos and some are russian new production...

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/13381/219458.jpg

Old 27th September 2006, 04:31 AM   #9
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Best 12AT7s I've tried (and I've tried 'em all) were JJ, by far. They're too cheap and easy to get for the fashion set, but for those of us who go for performance over cachet, they're great.
I personally prefer the RCA black plate and the French-made Amperex 12AT7s in my amp. A friend of mine has VTL 750s and we like the late-production Mullard M8162s in them. How do you use the 12AT7 and what were the sonic merits of the JJs?

John
Old 27th September 2006, 05:33 AM   #10
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great info everyone,
I was thinking on trying a RCA 5y3 or a Bendix 6106 and for the el84's I'm not sure yet maybe JJ or some have said the new TAD el84's sound good. My input is a JJ ax7 and sounds pretty nice, I've only had my amp for 1.5 months now so this is all new to me. My amp came stock with a Sovtec 5y3, Sovtec el84's and a JJ ax7 and I love the sound but thought I'd see what some other good choices may be to try. Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!