• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SMPS for B+ discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heres something else to think about. How big of a choke and capacitor do you need to properly filter out 100hz ripple. Now how big for 1Mhz ripple? Even at 100khz not much noise is going to get through an output transformer with a bandwidth that goes to 50khz if you're lucky.

Ackcheng,
The ss state amplifier we tested on was a LM3886 based amplifier (bridge-parallel mode). Hope this helps.
I know that some of our customers are also testing it with ss amplifiers, mainly their own designs, sorry don't have more details about them.
The SPS80 topology is a half-bridge converter.

Best regards,
Sergio

I have finally bought 2 SPS80HV for my OTL and did a few test on it.

But first, here are some pic for the 500W linear power supply with 5400uF filtering cap

This picture shows the voltage output of the linear power supply (LPS) when there is no signal input to the OTL amp. B+ voltage measured as 161.5Vwith 0.4V ripple¡Acurrent is 0.3A¡C

Attachments

• fig1.jpg
    fig1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 283
In summary, SPS80 only drops 7.7V but the linear power supply drops 23V. It is obvious that the SPS80 is far superior in loaded condition. There is some improvement in terms of 100Hz ripple and 1K Hz ripple. With additional 5400uF, there is further improvement by 0.9V.

In terms of sound, the SPS80 is so much better. The bass slam is clear, solid and transparent. It is actually more quiet than the LPS. The background is dark black. There is no need to go back to LPS anymore!

When someone tell me again that SMPS is noisy, now I have proved to myself that a good SMPS is better than LPS in all areas!!

However, I think SMPS is good for OTL as the current output is very large. In our measurement, the current at full load is 1.3A, but in theory, the peak current can reach 4A. However, SMPS may be overkill in transformer output amp!?

Attachments

• fig13.jpg
    fig13.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 210
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.