• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube vs. Semiconducter rectification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JojoD818 said:
I posted it as an example which I haven't tried myself. But if you think the circuit ain't worth it, would you care to explain?

Btw, SY's recommendation of using cheap thermistors works for my projects when using ss rectifiers, that's probably one of the reason why I haven't tried the circuit in the link I posted.

I agree with you, the termistor limits inrush current while abrupt switching generates it.

And I still don't understand what is good in waiting until tubes got hot before abruptly shitching on B+...

Problem is, that when you apply Voltage to a tube that is not at its operating temperature, cathode stripping begins eventually to occur. This circuit enables to pass a small amount of current while the tubes are getting to its optimal temperature.

it's like the standby switch on fenders, but without the risks involved in having the B+ running in front (or rear) of the chasis.

regards

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.