I Want To Build A 100+Watt per/channel Tube Poweramp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2006, 07:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I Want To Build A 100+Watt per/channel Tube Poweramp

I want to build a tube poweramp. I need 100+watts per channel. Somthing similar to http://www.transcendentsound.com/Beast%20OTL.htm I searched and i could not find anyone who build somthing like this. I want to run quad esl 63's with crossovers to a woofer.
Old 24th September 2006, 07:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/kt88_7.htm

nice to see you on diyaudio, ak47.
Old 25th September 2006, 08:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default What kind?

Hey AK man..
So what type amp are you leaning toward?
Is it a single ended, push pull, or in your noted type an OTL (Transformerless output).
The different types really are wildly different beasts...myself I lean toward single ended but one will need large output transformers & transmitter type tubes, the push-pull will get you to the power level you want easier...paralleling in push pull is doable...OTLs' are rather tricky & you'll notice the source you gave has a copywrite on the design!
Other things..Will this be your first build or do you have some other creations under your belt already.
__________________________________Rick..........
Old 27th September 2006, 05:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I was kind of leaning towards a OLT because i was told it had "crystal clear" sound. Due to the fact i have Quad ESL's i am worried i am going to hear all the sounds inperfections. I am going to be useing the high end components available. Sound quality is number one then the wattage.

I have made 100's electronic projects but most where just a saturday project because i was bored.
I got my projector off ebay broken for $300, the lens was smashed in and the power pcb was cracked. I got that working like new. Thats primarly why i am starting this audio project. I have a 120" screen that makes me drool and it hooked to computer speakers

I have never built anything this high end before but im going all out on this.
Old 27th September 2006, 05:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

btw that 400watt amp looks sweet! Any idea how it sounds?
Old 27th September 2006, 07:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default 120W per channel amp

Ak_47_boy,
I had an old thread here:

A building block approach to valve amp design

which described a 120W per channel amp. The prototype is still in my workshop waiting for me to build the second channel but i recall I liked it a lot. It had that tube amp warm sound.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 27th September 2006, 10:40 AM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

47, dumb question: how many tube amps have you built before?
Old 27th September 2006, 07:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
AK.....
Whats the SPL rating on those Quad ESl's??
I'm just getting a feel for how your going to approach this.
____________________________________Rick.......... .
Old 27th September 2006, 10:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

This will we kind of my second since i have started my preamp/headphone amp (got parts ordered). I may decide to build that and a seperate preamp for my theater, still thinking.

As for the SPL i am not shure. I know the Quad ESL-63 with the SW-63 (subwoofer) is 110dB.
Old 27th September 2006, 11:20 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
This will we kind of my second
Let me be the Voice of Experience here- don't do it. A big amp like this is intensely appealing. It's also nearly certain to never be completed or work properly, and you'll end up with a closet full of expensive parts that weren't used or (worse) were used and burned up.

Cut your teeth on some smaller, less ambitious units, then work your way up to that Big Boy. I've been doing this stuff for 40 years, and seen the same thing over and over- the siren song of the super amp results in an expensive, non-functioning frustration, and the diy hobby loses someone who could have been a real contributor.

Hide this!Advertise here!