• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I Want To Build A 100+Watt per/channel Tube Poweramp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What kind?

Hey AK man..
So what type amp are you leaning toward?
Is it a single ended, push pull, or in your noted type an OTL (Transformerless output).
The different types really are wildly different beasts...myself I lean toward single ended but one will need large output transformers & transmitter type tubes, the push-pull will get you to the power level you want easier...paralleling in push pull is doable...OTLs' are rather tricky & you'll notice the source you gave has a copywrite on the design!
Other things..Will this be your first build or do you have some other creations under your belt already.
__________________________________Rick..........

I was kind of leaning towards a OLT because i was told it had "crystal clear" sound. Due to the fact i have Quad ESL's i am worried i am going to hear all the sounds inperfections. I am going to be useing the high end components available. Sound quality is number one then the wattage.

I have made 100's electronic projects but most where just a saturday project because i was bored.
I got my projector off ebay broken for $300, the lens was smashed in and the power pcb was cracked. I got that working like new. Thats primarly why i am starting this audio project. I have a 120" screen that makes me drool and it hooked to computer speakers :(

I have never built anything this high end before but im going all out on this.

This will we kind of my second

Let me be the Voice of Experience here- don't do it. A big amp like this is intensely appealing. It's also nearly certain to never be completed or work properly, and you'll end up with a closet full of expensive parts that weren't used or (worse) were used and burned up.

Cut your teeth on some smaller, less ambitious units, then work your way up to that Big Boy. I've been doing this stuff for 40 years, and seen the same thing over and over- the siren song of the super amp results in an expensive, non-functioning frustration, and the diy hobby loses someone who could have been a real contributor.

I agree with SY.... I spent time working my way up to 6L6's, and I'm glad I did. I made all my mistakes on a couple previous chassis and designs. All that to get to a nice PP 6L6 UL amp that both looks good and sounds good. DIY seems to work best when you take the time to let the "learning curve" work.

Hi AK47,
I've been down this dusty trail with 63s using passive cross overs with little success. The load of the 63s are difficult enough without adding the passive cross over and the woofers. The best set up is an electronic cross over and bi-amping. Then you can use a 50-60 watt tube amp on the 63s and a nice solid state amp for the woofer. Make sure the amp you select for the 63s has damping factor greater than 10. Quads need to have an amp with decent damping factor or the bass will sound very flabby. The electronic cross over will let you set the cross over point to best match your room. Bi-amping with an electronic cross over was the only way I could get good sound. Plus you will need a very well designed woofers to match to the 63s. As you well know the bass on the 63s is very quick and getting woofers to match can be interesting. Cabinet design is critical.
OTL amps can be magical with the right speaker load. OTL amps work best into simple resistive loads. The quads are anything but.

I definatly can follow the scematics and generaly build it but i know if there was a problem i would prety much be screwed because of my lack of tube knowledge. I was figuring on just asking you guys for help if a problem arises. Would two preamps be enough to build before making a big one?

Andy Bartha said:
Hi AK47,
I've been down this dusty trail with 63s using passive cross overs with little success. The load of the 63s are difficult enough without adding the passive cross over and the woofers. The best set up is an electronic cross over and bi-amping. Then you can use a 50-60 watt tube amp on the 63s and a nice solid state amp for the woofer. Make sure the amp you select for the 63s has damping factor greater than 10. Quads need to have an amp with decent damping factor or the bass will sound very flabby. The electronic cross over will let you set the cross over point to best match your room. Bi-amping with an electronic cross over was the only way I could get good sound. Plus you will need a very well designed woofers to match to the 63s. As you well know the bass on the 63s is very quick and getting woofers to match can be interesting. Cabinet design is critical.
OTL amps can be magical with the right speaker load. OTL amps work best into simple resistive loads. The quads are anything but.

Are all electorstats not good with OTL's?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ak_47_boy,
I've been watching your thread. At this point I'll reinforce what SY is saying.

A 6BQ5 P-P project would be a very good start. There is a lot to learn. You can get shocked just as well with 300 V of plate. When you are up at 400~450 VDC things get a little more tense.

I do know many guys with parts they never used. Even I have some like that.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.