Help for SE Main Transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2006, 07:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help for SE Main Transformer

Could any one please tell me what kind of transofrmer laminations, wire, bobbins and isolation is required to build a main transformer for SE valve amplifier?And where to order?
Thanks in advance
Old 23rd September 2006, 09:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Baikostov. A power supply, even for a tube amp, is still a power supply and you really don't have to make weird things. What kind of amplifier are you thinking to build? If it uses a EL84 or EL86 I would go with an isolation trafo, 230 to 230VAC, which rectified (with SS) and some decoupling will give some nice B+.

Erik
Old 24th September 2006, 07:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Erik.The project type is Loftin-White and the schematic is:http://www.geocities.com/dreamsdestroyer/6C4C_cap.gif
Old 24th September 2006, 07:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Baikostov

I think the best place to ask this is at the thread where this schematic comes from. There are already some very experienced people around there, you make a bigger chance in getting answers to your questions.
6A3/6B4G/6S4S(2A3/2S4S) project

As for the parts, I would go with a assembled trafo. I have read that it is difficult to source steel...and from what I understand you have no expericence in winding trafo's (neither do I have). Also SE OPT is a pain in the *** to make right. So you would have to buy...you can buy them everywhere, but iron is expensive to transport. So you may try to locate some spanish people in this forum and ask where they bought their iron...(I know of one who built a 300B SE, but used Lundahl throughout, and that is something expensive.)

Good luck

Erik

Edit: how much are you willing to spend on the whole amp?
Old 24th September 2006, 08:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baikostov
... type is Loftin-White and the schematic is:http://www.geocities.com/dreamsdestroyer/6C4C_cap.gif
This is not a Loftin-White schematic, but a RC-coupled single ended. For Loftin-White look please:

http://www.mindspring.com/~mjh850830/loftin-white/

Andreas

Hide this!Advertise here!