• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6D22S Getter Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ardee.

I have no personal experience with these tubes, but see them for sale on eBay. The ones pictured for sale by sellers from various countries appear to have a getter disc mounted inside just below the top cap. But these have no flashing on the glass that I can see. I have also seen websites with pictures of power supplies that used these tubes and they do have dark getter flashings.

Perhaps there was a quanity of 6D22Ss that were never exposed to an RF source to flash the getter. Maybe the factory's RF bombarder was not working for a period of time. Maybe they felt the vacuum was sufficient and could survive without a getter. Maybe they were in a hurry and just didn't flash it to save time and money. Who knows?

Also possible, but unlikely, there is a bunch of defective tubes with bad seals that have leaked. Have you powered up your filaments to see how they light? If they light dimly and/or smoke, they have air in them. Perhaps give that a try and let us know.

Sometimes a tube's plate, when made of tantalum or carbon, will act as a getter when hot. But that almost always applies to transmitting tubes. Not receiving tubes such as these.

Victor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.