6D22S Getter Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Ardee is offline Ardee  England
diyAudio Member

Default 6D22S Getter Question

There is no sign of a conventional getter in the 6D22S tubes I have, and I'm curious to know why this is... Anyone?
Old 23rd September 2006, 07:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Ardee.

I have no personal experience with these tubes, but see them for sale on eBay. The ones pictured for sale by sellers from various countries appear to have a getter disc mounted inside just below the top cap. But these have no flashing on the glass that I can see. I have also seen websites with pictures of power supplies that used these tubes and they do have dark getter flashings.

Perhaps there was a quanity of 6D22Ss that were never exposed to an RF source to flash the getter. Maybe the factory's RF bombarder was not working for a period of time. Maybe they felt the vacuum was sufficient and could survive without a getter. Maybe they were in a hurry and just didn't flash it to save time and money. Who knows?

Also possible, but unlikely, there is a bunch of defective tubes with bad seals that have leaked. Have you powered up your filaments to see how they light? If they light dimly and/or smoke, they have air in them. Perhaps give that a try and let us know.

Sometimes a tube's plate, when made of tantalum or carbon, will act as a getter when hot. But that almost always applies to transmitting tubes. Not receiving tubes such as these.

Victor
Old 23rd September 2006, 07:12 PM   #3
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

They have what is called a "button getter". The getter material is contained in a button-shaped holder attached to the plate. I've only seen them on high-powered Soviet tubes such as 6S19, GU-81, 572, etc.

John
Old 23rd September 2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Ardee is offline Ardee  England
diyAudio Member

Thanks, John. I can sleep again now.
Old 23rd September 2006, 07:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes John, thanks for that tidbit of info. Didn't think of that. I never use Russian tubes since I have enough NOS American to last several lifetimes.

Victor
Old 27th September 2006, 09:35 AM   #6
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
a few models of russian tube use them (6D22S, 6S19P, etc)

also, the russian nixies use them as well (for obvious reasons..)

Hide this!Advertise here!