Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2006, 10:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default For 45 > 845: selecting an 9.5/ 10 Interstage

Hi

Where there more than one IT fits, and is affordable, how do you pick which?

My use has evolved to (locked down): in between monoblock Bugle 45 SEs (instead of being used as a standalone amp), and a one stage 845 SE.
The Idea & great advice courtesy of jrdmedford, DanL and JM.

SE:SE
5K:5K
1:1
A minimum of 35 ma DC
Likely contenders are (in no particular order):

James
Intact Audio
Promitheus Audio. The last two make TVCs, so have wisdom
Lundahl
EletctraPrint
MagneQuest

It started out as spend half the money for 80% of the likely result, but that went out the window somewhat when I saw Tamura 845 OPTs at a discount & bought them.

It was suggested to me that apart from the ElectraPrint 3033 being excellent; being able to take a bias current of 40 mA means it can be used late with different tubes.
So I cast around to find good swap-in- drivers in lieu of 45 tubes to later try in my Bugle. Keeping changes *minimal, seems few options, the 2a3 seemed best; but may not sound much different to enthuse over.
While later use with different tubes is a very nice * potential * plus, if I want to experiment, I think Id prefer to leave the 45 > IT intact, and build complete new stages.

However for a different sound and maybe more gain, *if a good IDH-P, with 4 pins, or the ability to adapt it easily to into a 45 SE with not much spare box space is viable, then the ElectraPrint 3033 *does have a *real advantage.

The 45 is hopefully to be laid out this weekend, and built over the next few weeks, so speak now or forever hold your peace!

So which IT?

Some ITs (eg ElectraPrint, Promitheus Audio) are wound bi-filar - is that an advantage?

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!