• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pseudo dual mono PS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm closing in on my winter project- a 30-50 WPC KT88 PP power amp. Though I'm still waffling a bit on the schematic, Citation, MKIII and a couple more. However my question is about the power supply.

Whichever schematic I choose I'll need significant current- 300 to 450 mA. I'd like to make a stereo amp rather than monoblocks. The Hammond 278CX seems to be an off-the-shelf PTX that can deliver the voltage (450-470 cap input) and current (465mA).

Assuming I use the Hammond I'd like opinions on whether to make two separate filters for the B+ lines ( I'm thinking CLCRC)versus one honkin' big filter for the whole shebang.

Issues with one big filter- finding (and paying for) a choke that can handle 400mA, giant (and HOT :hot: ) resistor.

Issues with two filters- chassis space, double the number of caps etc.

Whaddya think? :confused:

I tried both, in a way. My amp doesn't need as much current or voltage but still it's not that much different. I used JJ double caps (correct term?) to save space. I only used one rectifier and one half of the first cap and both sides of the two 47uF+47uF caps. Nothing wrong with this as such, but my power tranny just was running too hot as it was also powering all the filaments. For this reason only I converted it to two separate power supplies. Sonically I can't tell the difference but the trannies run a lot cooler. Would it be out of the question to build a separate PSU unit and a stereo amp? This would sort of solve the space problem. That's what I'm doing since I just can't get PTX -> OTX interference under control otherwise. Actually, I'm not building a separate PSU but rather a separate box for the power trannies. Rectification (2 separate tubes) is still done in the same box with the amps. Worth a thought, I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback! I've done a bit more digging around and I think I've found just the choke I need to do the single big, honkin' supply at a reasonable price.

I was most interested in you not hearing a difference. That is good news. Bottom line is the sound, if I can measure something on my scope but I don't hear it I try not to get too worked up over it. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.