• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for info on loudness control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I recently finished my first vacuum tube line preamp. Its a simple design, with a regulated power supply and a couple of 6SN7GTs, one for each channel, gain 10. Im very happy with the results, except when Im listening at very low volume, during late night hours. I feel that a loudness control would be helpful in such moments, but I wasnt able to find a suitable circuit anywhere.

Can someone help me and point out a book or website with a schematic or formulae for a simple passive loudness control? Or, even better, for a tube based active variable loudness control?

Thanks in advance,
Norman

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A kluge that has been used with some success in the past is to use a parallel combination of resistor, cap and half of a dpdt switch connected between chassis ground point and the cold (gnd) end of the volume pot.

Start with a resistor of about 10K and a 0.12uF cap, increase cap to lower maximum boost frequency. Adjust both to taste.

Increasing cap value lowers point at which boost ends. F=1/(2piRC)

Larger resistor increases amount of boost, decrease cap value by ratio of r_old/r_new. So double resistor, halve cap value..

Smaller resistor reduces boost, increase cap value as by above. Halve resister, double cap value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.