why is it that most tube projects uses copper sheetmetal? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2006, 12:27 AM   #21
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by v-bro
He also invented "The Mat" a round slice of very thin dampening rubber ...
Was that the burgundy one-side adhesive stuff? I found it useless for CDs but great as a damping layer between cartridge and headshell.
Old 23rd September 2006, 12:43 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RetroAudio
I have an old Sargent Rayment tube amp I scored at a garage sale and I get the drift that the copper is used as a conductor plane since grounds of caps and power cords and other stuff is connected to the chassis. It has a 2-pronged power cord.
Old 23rd September 2006, 05:00 AM   #23
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

No, nothing self-adhesive, just kept in place by laws of gravity....
Old 23rd September 2006, 08:56 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Klimon
....., wood for sound! No eddy currents and other thingies giving a closed-up sound... I've realised I'm pretty alternative here as most people don't see any problems in metal as long as it's non-magnetic.

Simon
I totally agree. Heat can be a problem , tho...
Old 23rd September 2006, 09:33 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Sorry to make the comment in the tubes section, but:"not in class D though". I can just hear you guys think "sacrilidge!"
Old 23rd September 2006, 09:35 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Old 23rd September 2006, 10:23 PM   #27
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
pretty alternative? I know a guy who owns "art speak" a modding company, he puts cork mats in amps(pieces of cork floor tiles) against the metal plating.
Ofcourse a guy who puts tarmac in his breakfast cereal is more alternative but that's not the point here... To apply to the subject: if those amps were built from wood in the first place they would never need cork dampening (and lack the closed-up sound that no addition can cure once metal is envelloping signal circuitry).

Quote:
Heat can be a problem , tho...
imo that's the main backdraw... Chamfering around the tube holes + mounting iron above the chassis should solve the worst of problems, I can imagine chassis heat dissipation can be more of an issue with certain high power tubes.

Simon (solid wood)

Hide this!Advertise here!