• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DIY tube preamp kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a pair of Pam1 or Pas1 as some call them but they have a tendancy to hiss and the volume pots do not match at all. I have had a tech locally look at them and make a few mods but they still hiss. Some have told me that this is a good set of pre amps but I like building and if I could make one better I would like to. I also would fix these if I knew how.

I like this site lots of talented people here.

Sell or trade them for a dynaco pas 3 . Get franks kit and you will have a great tube preamp. His kit replaces everything inside except the transformer, selector switch's , jack set and on-off switch. Tone controls are not used anymore and your volume and one other pot is replaced with Alps brand pots. YOu can purchase his jack set replacement (which I did) and the ceramic selector switch (which I did not) made my own. Alittle high in price but well worth it. I will tell you that I am in no way affiliated with Frank VanAlstine. This is just my opinion, I'm sure there are other fine tube kits out there.

Not a kit but a lot of people are building the Aikido by John Broskie. Check tubecad.com for info, or just check this board. I'm building one myself. It does require more than just what he sells, such as a chassis and power supply, so you need to have some knowledge of putting things together.

hey-Hey!!!,
One thing to consider is how much gain do you need? With a CD player, gain from a 12AU7/6SN7/5687/6H30 was waaaaaay to much for a Mk.III. Twitchy,hair-trigger volume control is not what I'm after.

I have a pair of Mk.III's and they need attenuation re. the CDP to reach full volume. A buffer is what those amps need, how you do the buffering leaves a *LOT* of circuit choices, few of which are offered by the kit companies.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.