DIY tube preamp kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2006, 02:52 AM   #1
Dylanl is offline Dylanl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY tube preamp kit

I would like to purchase a tube preamp kit to pair up with my Dynaco Mark 3's and Klipschorns. Does anyone know if one is out there and one that would compliment this setup.

Thanks
Old 21st September 2006, 02:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try www.avahifi.com Frank VanAlstine. I bought a cheap dynaco pas3 and then purchased his kit to rebuild.
Old 21st September 2006, 03:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

I have read many nice things about the Foreplay III from Bottlehead. The Bottlehead products have a big following and an excellent support forum.

Bottlehead Foreplay III

dg
Old 21st September 2006, 06:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I currently have a pair of Pam1 or Pas1 as some call them but they have a tendancy to hiss and the volume pots do not match at all. I have had a tech locally look at them and make a few mods but they still hiss. Some have told me that this is a good set of pre amps but I like building and if I could make one better I would like to. I also would fix these if I knew how.

I like this site lots of talented people here.
Old 21st September 2006, 12:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sell or trade them for a dynaco pas 3 . Get franks kit and you will have a great tube preamp. His kit replaces everything inside except the transformer, selector switch's , jack set and on-off switch. Tone controls are not used anymore and your volume and one other pot is replaced with Alps brand pots. YOu can purchase his jack set replacement (which I did) and the ceramic selector switch (which I did not) made my own. Alittle high in price but well worth it. I will tell you that I am in no way affiliated with Frank VanAlstine. This is just my opinion, I'm sure there are other fine tube kits out there.
Old 21st September 2006, 11:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I will look into them. Any others than that kit that are proven?
Old 21st September 2006, 11:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

http://welbornelabs.com/ultraintro.htm

http://diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_basie.htm

http://www.hagtech.com/clarinet.html
Old 23rd September 2006, 06:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Does the CARY AE3 replica have a regular volume control or a stepped volume pot? I don't like the stepped.
Old 23rd September 2006, 12:37 PM   #9
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

Not a kit but a lot of people are building the Aikido by John Broskie. Check tubecad.com for info, or just check this board. I'm building one myself. It does require more than just what he sells, such as a chassis and power supply, so you need to have some knowledge of putting things together.
Old 23rd September 2006, 06:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zacster
Not a kit but a lot of people are building the Aikido by John Broskie.
Broskie has PCB's available through his site. http://www.tubecad.com

Hide this!Advertise here!