• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1st cap heats up...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
djQUAN said:
slightly OT: hey jojo, do you know where to get tubes in our area?

hi,

there is Spin Electronics in Mandaluyong, I think Deeco also stocks some tubes.

As long as you're sure the cap isn't getting warm from being too close to some other part that gives off heat, then it could be due to ripple. The first cap must be rated for high ripple current.

It is actually near a the 5W 1.8K resistor which feeds the second cap. I will try to put some space between them. I am just worried since out of the three caps, the first cap is the only one that heats up. :hot:

ray_moth said:
As long as you're sure the cap isn't getting warm from being too close to some other part that gives off heat, then it could be due to ripple. The first cap must be rated for high ripple current.

I moved the cap away from the resistor and run the test jig for 10 minutes and the cap really is the one heating up by itself and not through passive transfer.

I guess one solution is to remove that cap completely. :eek:

:)

a 4.7 uF cap is small amd may have a high ESR, causing heating. A larger cap won't have that problem, but may increase peak current too much for 5Y3. If you remove the cap, you'll have to decrease the value of the first resistor to keep the same voltage (should be at least 2W, since it now has to carry ripple current...). The RCRC filter that's left SHOULD have have enough ripple attenuation...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.