• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

what gas VR tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I current have a 5651a. I've seen replies in AA that this is a good voltage reference and very quiet as well.

In regards to the 0*3 tubes, I've come across a site that mentioned they are noisy. I can't remember which site though.

any thoughts?
==================

if I am to out a 0*3 tube in place of a 5651a, is this possible? what 0*3 can I use?

thank you for the replies :)

I've come across a site that mentioned they are noisy.

It depends what you compare with!

VR tubes are less noisy than Zener diodes and IMO is a good choice in a circuit where you can't de-couple a zener diode voltage reference with a real RC filter.

I use VR tubes a reference in a voltage regulator in my phono amp, even without any de-coupling the noise from the VR tube is much less than the tube noise from the phono amp. VR tubes can be de-coupled with up to .05uF in parallell. I am not sure if a 5651 is more quiet than a ordinary VR tubes, I use a standard 0A2 and as I described I wouldn't gain anything by using something else.

BR Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.