• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N6P and 6SN7 Operating point suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on a headphone amp that can either use a 6sn7 or a 6n6p (or a 6n1p/6n30p/6dj8 etc.) There is one tube per side (both sections in parallel) transformer coupled to the output. Primary impedance of the OPT is about 10K. I am trying to figure out what B+ to use to accomodate both tubes. 300V puts the 6sn7 (biased to about 7V) with a plate voltage of ~200V at 10mA. The 6n6p would be biased at 6V with a plate voltage of ~140V at 15mA. Are these reasonable spots, or would someone suggest a better operating point for one or both.

I am looking into a regulated PS which would mean that it won't change under load, and that altering it for tube changes would be difficult, so the B+ needs to work for all options if possible.

Hmm...depends on the 6SN7s you have and the sound you want out of them. For instance I use the RCA grey glass ones which have a very warm & rich sound, when run at 240V & 9mA it was a little too mushy & bloated, but changing it to around 280V & 7.5mA added some needed snap & zing. With my GE 6SN7GTAs it's the other way around, lower voltage & higher current gives a better balance to my ears. They're all good operating points for the 6SN7, it's a matter of taste & tube choice, I'd shy away from running higher voltages in some of the tubes which are prone to arcing over.

The 6n6p I know nothing about so I'll leave that to someone else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.