• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes in Vietnam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,

as I'm in Vietnam at the moment and I see that there are some Vietnamese DIYers on the board, I'd like to know if someone could tell me if there are any good places to buy tubes in this beautiful country. Maybe in Ho Chi Minh City or Hue or somewhere south, because that's where we're heading.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Rodeodave,

Welcome to my country!

As some posts here suggest the vnav.net or http://www.audiovnclub.net. But the language may a barrier for you and you should contact by email, some of them may help.

Here are anather address:

Nguyễn Anh Tùng
149G Ðội Cấn - Hà Nội.
Mobile: 091 201 5572
Tel: 04 8230832 (buổi tối)
Fax: 04 7224556
E-mail: cd149dc@yahoo.com

For my advice, I think it is a good deal if you are looking for tubes originally from Soviet Union or China in Vietnam. Bcos the contries support my country during the tube era. So the tubes is popular here now. But that is not all the tubes, power tubes of russian or China are also rare here. Only miniature tube, such as 6H1, 6H2, 6H3 are popular.

Besides, genarally I thinhk you should not buy tubes that are originally from EU or the US here, except you are so wise and expert in the tubes, bcous theirs price and quanlity.
Remember, all Vietnamese DIYer also hunt for good EU or the US tubes.
I sometimes have diy project and have to buy EU or US tube, and compare its price with that of the wourl but at the end my choice is to buy abroad.

Lastly, when if you back to Ha Noi, and want to find hepl to find tubes, conveniently contact me at the number: 0903443132, my name is Minh. I will lead you to some my friends who collect USSR and China tubes, especially 6H1..6H3

Have fun!

Vietnam is the new China, just started a few years later.

You should be suprised.
These are stats from 2012 to 2016. couldn´t find 2017 but have no reason to think trends invert and of course we are only halfway through 2018.

Surprisingly , powerhouses like Japan and Singapore crashed almost 20% down, India 10% down, heavyweight China only grew 3.4% ... total in four years.

And Vietnam?
It grew incredible 85% !!!!!

Merlin, I have not been to Vietnam myself but like most of the larger cities in Asia it has an electronics market called Nhat Tao:

The Electronics Markets of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam | Hackaday

If it is anything like the market in Bangkok Thailand it will have some valve guys about. Prices may not be too good but it's cool to have a chin wag with some fellow valve guys. The guys in Bangkok seemed to hold old RS stuff in high esteem for some reason.

You will almost definitely find other useful stuff at good prices though such as binding posts, phono connectors, ceramic insulated stand offs and maybe even some nice TDK stepped attenuators. If you find any Japanese Tokos Kosmos pots be careful as the ones I bought whilst excellent quality have very poor matching between tracks at the lower end of rotation.

Cheers
Matt.

Last edited:
years ago, some japanese pickers came to manila and purchased a container full of tubes from local stockists.....today there are still stores selling tubes but mostly TV power tubes and such...
about 3 years ago, we were able to pick a shop in the outskirts of manila and we hauled off 1500 pieces of tubes.....
still, every now and then you will find them is shops in the city of manila, in a district that we call Raon.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.