• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Passive pre order?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This isn't a tube question but doesn't really belong in a specific forum, so I post it here:

I'm finally getting around to building a passive pre with parts I've saved up, CMLI-15/15B tx's from the Cinemag group buy and a 4 deck switch from Triode El, set up as a stereo ladder.

So, what would be the best way to wire these up? Does it make a difference if the attenuator is before or after the tx (best CMR)? What is the best resistance of the ladder for generality (both SS and tube amps)?

leadbelly said:
...So, what would be the best way to wire these up? Does it make a difference if the attenuator is before or after the tx (best CMR)? What is the best resistance of the ladder for generality (both SS and tube amps)?

The attenuator must have the same impedance as the transformer (before and after the transformer); pls. think about a constant impedance pad.

Regards Andreas

Re: Re: Passive pre order?

AndreasS said:
The attenuator must have the same impedance as the transformer (before and after the transformer); pls. think about a constant impedance pad.

Sorry, could you dumb it down a bit for me? :)
How do I match the impedance of a 1:1 transformer? Are you saying that the attenuator impedance must match the amp input impedance for best results?
I stated I was making a ladder attenuator, so isn't that constant impedance? What do you mean by "constant impedance pad"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.