• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio innovation L1 valve replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
new to the 'tube'section, much more familiar with the CD section.

Anyway, my AI L1 just died, the single valve ECC82 (12au7 in tube language, I believe:D ) shorted, and I lost the right channel.

I have a valve power amp that uses 12at7 (to drive KT88), and had that re-tubed after a minor mis-ap some years ago..but that is another story. So I have 12at7 to spare.

The Question is can I substitute the 12at7 for the 12au7?

The AI L1 is, as I understand it, a 'glorified passive pre-amp, with unity gain at best. The 12at7 may be to 'strong'? (See, I don't know much).

It's tempting to just plug and play - butI'm not about to risk wacking the power amp and speakers again if something goes wrong:smash:

Also, I have seen 5963 advertised in Australia at (very) competitive prices, is it a valid subtitution?

Cheers

Philippe

Thank you SY,

yes that is the sensible thing to do.

Re-reading my post I realise my intent was not clear:

will the 12AT7 get me by while I source a replacement?

(Even if its just to diagnose that the valve is indeed the problem).

Looks like no, so, I'll just just have to listen to my SS gear ;)

Any advice on 5963 vs Ecc82, I have seen conflicting reports on AF uses for the 5963, with some claiming better linearity, others the opposite.

Thanks

Philippe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.